The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Horse trailer, hitch and height issues (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/horse-trailer-hitch-height-issues-111534/)

dbazor 02-01-2012 10:35 PM

Horse trailer, hitch and height issues

I bought a 2011 dodge 1500 mega cab with the short bed this summer. At the time I was looking into bumper pull trailers. I came across a GN trailer that I couldn't pass up. I have been doing my homework and reading up on all views and aspects and could really use some help being that I am a single mom who has no knowledge of trailers and such.

The new trucks sit higher with the 20-21"wheels. My trailer is an older rounded gn with 15' wheels. My first issue is the height clearance of the trailer and the truck bed. What can I do to fix it? My second issue is my bed length. I have a turn over ball gn hitch to be installed and need to know if a 4" extention will help and will there be issues with the extension. I was looking at a 9" extension but was told that was too much. Someone help me please so I know I am doing the right thing.

Lockwood 02-01-2012 11:10 PM

I can't answer the hitch extension question, but when I was researching before I bought my current Dodge, I did learn that the 20" tires can reduce hauling capacity.
This was both on the official Dodge site and on truck enthusiast sites. Since I happen to like Dodge trucks best but wanted to make sure it was the best choice for my farm needs, I looked at every nook and cranny/ins and outs of the Dodges and happen to discover that info quite by accident. I would have never known that on my own.

Anyway, when I bought my truck I had them switch out the 20" super flashy "upgrade" tires back to the standard tires- for which all the specs are written for anyway. Sometimes I haul some hefty loads for my class of truck and needed all the oomph I could get. I also searched long and hard for the sport model hemi because it is made with the better gear ratio for what I needed. My friend has a Dodge similar to mine, but with the larger tires and a different gear ratio. Those little differences give mine the ability to out haul and out perform her truck quite a bit. (Not that I ever rub it in her face or anything..... :wink:)
It also sits lower and holds trailers in a better position.

In addition to finding out the differences hauling a goose neck makes over a BP, it might be worth while to see if whatever upgrades many trucks have on them to look flashy haven't reduced your hauling and workability of the truck. Good thing to know before trying to haul something with your truck thinking it will work like the specs are written.

VT Trail Trotters 02-02-2012 06:25 PM

Well can help a little bit, for your height problem you can get a height adjustable hitch. There easily capable of handling a horse trailer and are a little big but worth it.

Joe4d 02-02-2012 06:46 PM

sell the gooseneck and buy one that is compatible with your truck. Or vice versa, You are gonna end up with more time and trouble trying to make something work. Your truck has alot of options that make it not so good for the task at hand. You need to get a trailer that is more suitable to your truck.
The hitch offsets are gonna farther reduce your safe towing load and make the front end lighter, which will effect handling. And there is not really anything you can do about the bed clearance. Raising the front of the trailer and your gonna end up lifting the trailers front axels, doubling the load on the rear axle leading to more problems.
You got a great deal on the trailer, slap on a coat of paint and resell it, find something else.

Bridgertrot 02-02-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockwood (Post 1337641)
I did learn that the 20" tires can reduce hauling capacity.

Anyway, when I bought my truck I had them switch out the 20" super flashy "upgrade" tires back to the standard tires- for which all the specs are written for anyway.

I can see why 20" tires can reduce hauling capacity. Those are small tires! What were the super flashy upgrade tires? Whitewall? Lol

Do you mean wheels? Tires are the rubber part while wheels are the metal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 02-02-2012 07:24 PM

Unless you are talking oversized mud bogging tires, tires are always refereed to by the size of the hole in the middle.

churumbeque 02-02-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1338870)
sell the gooseneck and buy one that is compatible with your truck. Or vice versa, You are gonna end up with more time and trouble trying to make something work. Your truck has alot of options that make it not so good for the task at hand. You need to get a trailer that is more suitable to your truck.
The hitch offsets are gonna farther reduce your safe towing load and make the front end lighter, which will effect handling. And there is not really anything you can do about the bed clearance. Raising the front of the trailer and your gonna end up lifting the trailers front axels, doubling the load on the rear axle leading to more problems.
You got a great deal on the trailer, slap on a coat of paint and resell it, find something else.

This is what I say also. You will cause more trouble than it is worth.

churumbeque 02-02-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridgertrot (Post 1338890)
I can see why 20" tires can reduce hauling capacity. Those are small tires! What were the super flashy upgrade tires? Whitewall? Lol

Do you mean wheels? Tires are the rubber part while wheels are the metal.
Posted via Mobile Device

20" is not small, standard on a 1/2 ton is 15" and a 3/4 ton is 16"
Changing them shouldn't make a difference though as the smaller wheel will have a higher profile tire so the overall hieght might still be the same

NorthernMama 02-02-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbazor (Post 1337577)
My first issue is the height clearance of the trailer and the truck bed. What can I do to fix it?

Depends on the trailer. Many GNs have a hitch that are height adjustable. Or the existing one can be removed and a new one installed that fits. If it's not a backyard trailer job, a welder should be able to set that up in an hour or so for you. Maybe two max.

Quote:

My second issue is my bed length. I have a turn over ball gn hitch to be installed and need to know if a 4" extention will help and will there be issues with the extension. I was looking at a 9" extension but was told that was too much. Someone help me please so I know I am doing the right thing.
Measure the distance centre of hitch to outside on the trailer and centre of hitch to front of trailer. Measure distances from hitch location in truck bed to back of cab. That will give you your answer.

I haul a GN with my 2007 Chevy 4x4 with 20" wheels on the truck and 16" (I think, I'd have to verify to be sure) wheels on the trailer, no extension hitch and no mods needed to either. Can you post a pic of the GN hitch on the trailer and the truck & trailer lined up on a flat surface with the tailgate down?

VT Trail Trotters 02-02-2012 10:19 PM

Ah 20" tires are a good size our Jeep Liberty '08 has 22" ones and we haul the boat with not height problem.