The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Arabians & Half-Arabians (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/arabians-half-arabians-11161/)

FreedomRider 07-07-2008 07:17 PM

Arabians & Half-Arabians

Hey how many of you love/own/ride/show an Arab or Half-Arab? I ride a National Show Horse and we do western and saddle seat. What do you guys do with your Arabs and Half-Arabs?

Curly_Horse_CMT 07-07-2008 08:36 PM

Half Arabs

Half arabians are terrific! My Curly X Arabian mare is the best trail horse/show horse ever. She is surefooted, smart, outgoing and very beautiful. Arabian head with the curly body, nice and solid but yet petitie. She could go alllll day and not have a problem. Great feet too. She is also gaited. :D

kickshaw 07-07-2008 09:01 PM

i've ridden bunches of arabs and arab crosses. They're a pretty versatile crew; we did everything from saddleseat to hunters to western to reiners :)

FledgeOfNarnia 07-08-2008 12:32 AM

I have an Arab. He has done endurance competition supposedly, but I just use him as a fun horse to ride. My cousin has another Arab that we use for trails. I think Arabs are absolutely wonderful. :D

Filly213 07-08-2008 02:19 AM

i used to have a arab cross, and i used him for trail riding and western. i never showed him, but we had heaps of fun together lol!!

newhorsemom 07-08-2008 12:05 PM

I have an Arab mare that we just bought this last spring. She is around 8 or 9 and I am blown away by her!! She is amazing - I'm not sure if she is just special or if all Arabs are this great. We bought her as a family horse - especially for my 7-year old daughter who is completely horse crazy. We will be trail riding eventually (this will be new for Lily) but in the meantime we are riding her in the round pen and pasture.

For a while I was beginning to think that we bought too much horse and that we should have looked at one that was dead broke. My criteria was that a horse be very gentle on the ground and know how to whoa with ease. This horse does have both but she also has lots of energy so I was questioning my judgment in buying her after we got her home (my daughter did take her for a test ride in the arena (walk/trot) and they did fine so at the time I wasn't too concerned). My fears are quickly diminishing. My daughter spends lots of time just hanging out with Lily and we've been doing groundwork with her when possible before we ride. They are really developing a strong relationship. She can be absolutely full of it but when my daughter is around she mellows right out and becomes a completely different horse. Next week we are going to walk over to local stable and my daughter is going to have a real riding lesson on her. I hope it goes well!!

ally_loves_her_horses 07-08-2008 11:40 PM

i own/love/ride/show my beautful purebred arabian :) best show horses ever !

i also have a half arabian x stock horse that i rescued about 2 years ago we are training for dressage.. havent shown her yet

Arabians Rock !!

Merel 07-09-2008 11:57 AM

I own a cross between an arabian X welsh..
I'm not a big fan of the arabians though, I like KWPN's and warmbloods in general more..

aappyfan1 07-09-2008 12:38 PM

I have owned a couple of mares one full Arb and the other one Half Arabian although when I traced her pedigree, she was more like 7/8 Arabian liked both mares and they both threw beautiful foals.

My2Geldings 07-09-2008 03:19 PM

If I owned an Arab and I think one day I might get one I would do dressage with it. They have such comfy elastic gates it would be a waste to not do dressage with him or her. Maybe play around in some hunter shows.