The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Exercises to help with mounting (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/exercises-help-mounting-111610/)

Lifeofriley 02-02-2012 05:05 PM

Exercises to help with mounting

So, I'm definitely not what you'd call the 'springiest' person out and I don't think the fact that I'm vertically challenged helps me out much!
My boy is about 15.3hh and I would like to be able to mount from the ground without looking like a sack of potatoes! I generally use the side of the float, tailgate, milk crate, slight incline or whatever I can find to make getting on easier so I don't pull his back but does anyone have any exercises for any muscles I can work that would help me in my quest? (it's a little embarrassing being on the smallest horse at a show and having to clamber up something after walking my course to get on!)

I like to think I'm moderately fit, I do ride daily and play indoor netball one night a week on top of walking about a km to and from work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 02-02-2012 05:10 PM

It all about physics. We mount the horse at a 45 degree angle as if to vault over him. Do you have wooden board fencing? If so, mount the fence, over and over and over. PRACTICE MOUNTING FROM THE GROUND!!
Use the highest rung you can, get a super deep bend in your left leg, knee almost to your chin, spring up, hesitate, then gently swing your leg over to the other side. Dismount the fence by swinging your right leg over to meet the left, lean on the top fence board with all of your weight, kick your left foot away from the fence board, then jump down, bending your knees to absorb the shock.
The fence is VERY FORGIVING and it won't walk away from you. =D

AQHSam 02-02-2012 05:26 PM

I find that it is in upper body/arm strength. Can you get your left foot in the stirrup? For me, I get my foot in the stirrup, hands on horn and cantle, then give myself a big push off with my right foot.

But that is only half my battle. My arms have to "pull" (or push maybe is a better description) me up until I have enough height where I can begin to swing my left leg over the back of the horse.

As much as I HATE them, I am thinking I need to work on push ups and pull ups.

I tried to get on my 15hh QH bareback and after several failed and pathetic attempts, I used a stool. Even with the stool it was pathetic to watch.

It took me several failed attempts to get on a 12hh Halfie. I finally was able to pull / lift myself using my arms.

Thinking about it, you also don't want to put your hands past centerline of the horse. Then you are dragging more than pushing yourself up.

Golden Horse 02-02-2012 05:33 PM

Subbing because I so need help in this area

chrisnscully 02-02-2012 05:47 PM

Mounting from the ground is not good for you or the horse's back. I always use a fence / block / rock to mount from. Yes, I know sometimes you have to and yes, I do mount from the ground too, even though she is 17hh!

palominolover 02-02-2012 05:55 PM

Yes exactly like corporal said =) Do you have a bunk bed in your house by any chance? If you do mount it. Start small like at the fifth step and the gradually go up. It works best if it's a half bunk but if it isn't then just go as high as your stirrup would be on the horse. This has made me able to mount ANY horse from the ground =)

Derry girl 02-02-2012 05:56 PM

I know exactly what you mean, wev all been there, I used to work as a riding instructor and I seen some woofull attempts by beginners getting on horses lol when I wasnt teaching I had a load of young horses to ride and you dont want to be hanging around getting on the young ones, so I would do some streches on my legs before-hand, and make sure that I had loose comfortable trousers on, not those really tight jophurs that you couldnt fart in lol .. some people face the saddle and put their foot straight in the stirup, much easier if you have your shoulder beside theirs, get your left foot in the stirup get a good hold of the front and back of the saddle and do 3bounces, get a good spring in your bounce.. this always worked with me... but if your still struggling after trying some different techiques, dont be ashamed of using a mount or getting a leg up, if I was a horse id much rather some1 was getting up quick and easy rather then pulling and hauling at my back lol
good luck :-)

Lifeofriley 02-02-2012 10:10 PM

Thanks guys!
I wear THE stretchiest jods ever invented (in my opionion anyway haha) so I don't have trouble actually getting my foot up to the stirrup (normally...)

I don't seem to have a problem using my arms to help me up I think it's more I'm not getting enough spring off the ground with my right foot.. (although I can't do a pull up to save my life, I'll happily lug a 40kg bag of chaff down to the feed shed!) I unfortunately don't have a bunk bed OR a wooden fence to practice on haha.

Chrisnscully, I know it isn't good for them, if I'm getting on at a competition or at home I can use my float, retaining wall or any assorted sturdy step type things laying around.

I find the problem is at my instructors' or after walking a course a show when I can't find something to get up with. Of course my instructor thinks it's hilarious that I have to walk out of the jump arena to find an overturned bathtub after I've been practising walking lines!

I'm also shocking at getting legged up :oops: Oh, woe is me haha!

I'm wondering if maybe getting back into my pilates might help about a bit? More core strength and all that jazz!

Country Woman 02-03-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifeofriley (Post 1338701)
So, I'm definitely not what you'd call the 'springiest' person out and I don't think the fact that I'm vertically challenged helps me out much!
My boy is about 15.3hh and I would like to be able to mount from the ground without looking like a sack of potatoes! I generally use the side of the float, tailgate, milk crate, slight incline or whatever I can find to make getting on easier so I don't pull his back but does anyone have any exercises for any muscles I can work that would help me in my quest? (it's a little embarrassing being on the smallest horse at a show and having to clamber up something after walking my course to get on!)

I like to think I'm moderately fit, I do ride daily and play indoor netball one night a week on top of walking about a km to and from work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the same problem as you, I used to be able to mount from the ground but Now I need a little help
my problem is my knees my right knee will go out if I step wrong

mom2pride 02-03-2012 01:55 PM

I am one of those that I really could care less if I mount from the ground or not. When I train a horse, I teach him both; from the ground, as well as from a
mounting block.

I am active as well...I hike daily with my pup, among other outdoor activities, but it doesn't seem to matter.

The main reason being that I have health problems that make mounting from the ground more painful, or some pretty much impossible somedays...I just don't have the strength to anymore. It's not anything to be ashamed of; train your horse to accept it, and move on. It's better for him as well anyway.