The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Martingales! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/martingales-111614/)

Lexiie 02-02-2012 05:39 PM

Martingales!

So on the 25th I'm going to the World Horse Expo with my friend. I have a list of things that I want to get and a martingale is one of them. I ride english. I do lots of flat work and jumping. Which martingale is better, standing or running?
I'm leaning toward standing, because that's all I've ever used, but I'd love to hear all your opinions(:

mudpie 02-02-2012 05:42 PM

I am strongly apposed to standing martingales. I feel that, like a tie down, it's just a tool to make up for a lack of training/skill. Running martingales all the way!

Lexiie 02-02-2012 05:50 PM

Well when I've used a standing martingale (maybe it was too big) it didn't do anything and it looked pretty loose.
With running martingales they have more freedom for their head?

mudpie 02-02-2012 05:53 PM

Yep(: But does your horse really need a martingale? Why do you want/need one and how does your horse behave to make you want a martingale?

Lexiie 02-02-2012 06:05 PM

She'll drop her head and relax when we're just going around the ring, she gets bored fast. Only at the trot. We're working on the canter. (She's a Standardbred so she's not that good at it) Also when we do circles, she throws her head up, but I don't want to interfere with her balance.

mudpie 02-02-2012 06:08 PM

Sounds like you should work with your trainer on these things. For a martingale to work correctly, she needs to be collected and moving properly with her back and hindquarters engaged.

Someone else should be able to explain this better than me... :\

Lexiie 02-02-2012 06:20 PM

I've been working with double reins. She knows how to collect and she has a decent topline. She just doesn't STAY collected. We just need practice

kevinshorses 02-02-2012 06:25 PM

You need practice not a martingale. If put a good foundation on a horse and ride it correctly then you don't need a martingale or any of the other tools that cover up bad training and bad horsemanship.

If you insist on getting a martingale then I would suggest a running martingale. Your horse is a little less likely to become dependent on it and brace against it.

Lexiie 02-02-2012 06:29 PM

so what exactly is the point of a martingle? Just to keep their head from going up?

mudpie 02-02-2012 06:33 PM

No, a martingale is a training tool. Or should be used as one. I disagree with kevinshorses – if you're riding your horse correctly, they won't learn to lean or "depend" on a standing martingale. However, once you learn to ride correctly and can collect your horse properly, there's not reason for you to ride with a standing martingale. Also, a standing martingale limits the horses movement and can be dangerous to jump with.