The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I wasn't sure where to put this...

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Lakotababii 
#1 ·
...as it falls under training, tack and equipment, and even gaited horses.
Anyway, I've read through the threads on bits, and even tried googling such things as "bits for beginners" and "what bit for my horse?" and I can honestly say... I'm still confused.

Right now I'm using a Wonderbits on both my western and english bridles for my TWH gelding. They were recommended to me by someone who knows FAR more about horses than I do, so I took that person's advice.
Among the many things I read while perusing the threads and google results was that Wonderbits are rough and only serve as a substitute for real training.

That got me thinking. If there's even the slightest chance that I could be hurting Smoke's mouth, I'd feel terrible. In addition to that, I really do want to communicate with my horse, not just yank him around by his face. What's more is I know he wouldn't protest, because he's just not like that. He's so quiet and gentle. I've been thinking back on our rides to see if perhaps he was sending me any signals that he was uncomfortable, but I can think of none.
I direct rein and would characterize myself as medium-handed. I have both a western and flat saddle that I use, and so far I've only done trail riding. I hope to do some local shows with him this spring and summer, just for fun...
Sorry, I digress. My question is: What bits would you recommend for a calm trail and possible show gelding, who is gaited, and whose rider is medium-handed? Why would you choose those? How do these bits effect his movement, and why do they function that way?

Okay, that's more than one question... Thanks in advance for any input!

See less See more
#2 ·
A lot of people really like Myler bits for gaited horses. I really want to try one but have yet to cough up the $90 or so dollars for one.

Actually, I do own a Myler comfort snaffle, which is really wonderful for a snaffle, but I like a little bit of a shank on my bits.

This is a very mild bit with a little bit of leverage, but not too much. This is what I would get if I had the cash:

Myler HBT Shank #89-20025 Myler Bits (Equine - Supplies Tack - Bits - Working)

These bits are really well made and high quality. I don't think anyone would be disappointed in the quality. And this particular bit is short shanked and very mild.

#3 ·
Does your horse hold his gait well? Any pacing? How old is the gelding in question?

By medium handed, I assume you mean you are working on becoming soft handed and are a beginner? Yes? If no I am sorry but I'm trying! :wink:

Okay so why is that important? Well TWH that can consistently hold their gait without extra training can be put in just about any bit. Really, the most common thing I've heard is that the "headset" is better with a shanked bit. I think its baloney. I had a walker, calm, well broke, but only 5 years old. He kept his gait flawlessly. I rode him in a halter, bareback, some days, and he was still a gentlemen. I had a walking horse bit on him, which I regret (I was very young and green and did not know better) but I soon figured out that was way too harsh and worked him down to a hackamore, soft handed. He moved out great in that!

So for you, honestly it may be trial and error. DUMP the wonder bit. Those are NOT for beginners (Personally I don't think they are for anyone). Try a snaffle on him, such as a O or D ring. Plain and simple. Or, if you want something shanked (which you will have to work on your soft hands if you do) then you can go with what the above poster suggested or a similar type.

Personally, I do not believe that walkers need anything different than other horses when it comes to bits. Some will definitely disagree, but the gait and movement are in the training. The bit is simply the tool by which to communicate.

Sorry long winded. Here's the short. Get a soft bit (such as a D or O ring snaffle) and work on softening your hands. If your boy is already well behaved, then it may take some adjusting, but soon you will learn to communicate with soft cues, and your horse will no doubt thank you for it! :wink:

#4 ·
So for you, honestly it may be trial and error. DUMP the wonder bit. Those are NOT for beginners (Personally I don't think they are for anyone).
A Wonderbit is a gag bit. When I first came across them they were popular with cross-country riders to pull back their enthusiastic jumpers when on course. They didn't use a gag when in the Dressage ring, or when stadium jumping. Certainly NEVER a bit I'd recommend for a beginner bc a gag pulls the head down directly through holes in the bit, and that runs directly to your hands. It's a physics solution for good brakes.
Get a soft bit (such as a D or O ring snaffle) and work on softening your hands. If your boy is already well behaved, then it may take some adjusting, but soon you will learn to communicate with soft cues, and your horse will no doubt thank you for it! :wink:
Agreed. But, this is 2nd time I've read about an "O-ring snaffle". Are you referring to a "loose-ring snaffle"...or an "eggbutt snaffle," or a bit(part of bit & bradoon?
Honestly, I cannot find an O-ring snaffle in ANY of the catalogues that I buy from.

#7 ·
Yes but "O-ring" can also be just for a simple single jointed snaffle with loose rings. I think maybe its just a slang term? haha

#11 ·
I hear you on the "long week," Lakota! :lol:

To the OP: like others have said, I'm not the biggest fan of wonderbits, or any sort of gag, really. Some riders love them, I'm just not one of them.

You could try going to a snaffle and seeing how your horse likes that. My personal favorite is a loose ring french link, but of course it depends on the horse (my own personal horse HATES it! :lol:).

If you really want to stay in a curb, I'm not of too much help as most of my experience is in snaffles. I do like the look of the Mylers, though!

But remember, just because your horse is gaited doesn't mean he has to be in a curb. I grew up where every Walker I knew was in a double twisted offset wire, with 6" shanks! :shock:

There are lots of great threads around the forum on different curb bits if you'd like more info on them, since I'm no help! :lol:

Good luck! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
I have to agree with the others on the fact that I prefer the snaffle bit on my gaited horses. Until recently, that is all I have ever used on my horses. Seven weeks ago, I purchased a new horse that the snaffle bits didn't work for. I also asked the forum for some advice. Several talked about the Robards Pinchless Gaited horse bit and after doing a lot of research on it and knowing my horses needs, I decided to purchase one. I have now been using the bit for 2 weeks on my new horse, G-Man. I really like it but more important he likes it. He had a little trouble with nosing out when I gaited him in a rack. Of course, I have done several other things to get him softer at the poll but it seems like with the new bit and the other changes I have made has made a difference. He is more relaxed, softner at the poll and the nosing out is not a problem. I like the bit because I can put my reins in different places and using it like I would a snaffle and when I need a little more control when riding with larger groups, I can adjust it on the lower level to include the shanks. I have been so pleased with this bit that I have ordered a couple of more for my husband's horse and for another one of my horses. Wish you the best of luck because just having been through what you are going through now I know how frustrated trying to fine just the right gentle bit can be.

#13 ·
THR - that bit does appear pretty mild, thanks for the suggestion. but I'll have to save up a bit of extra cash for it.. :oops:

lakota - My gelding is 13 years old, and as far as I know he's only ever been used a trail horse. I am working on becoming more soft-handed... I do own a loose-ring snaffle, so next time I ride I will switch the bits out.
I've seen my guy hold and perform a beautiful gait in the field, and he does this under saddle - most of the time. Other times I feel like I'm bouncing around way too much, almost like he is pacing. Could this be because I am not collecting him properly?

tbrantley - thanks for the reassurance! I'm preparing myself for some trial and error here lol btw, glad your guy worked out for you! he sure is a looker.

My goal is to find a bit that will assist him in gaiting the way that I know he can, and will allow me to communicate softly but effectively. I will start at square one - the snaffle!:lol:

#16 ·
When you bounce, you need to slow him down, gently pull the reins in, and then give him a nice squeeze. Its a reminder to the horse that they need to pull from behind and gait, not pace. It happens sometimes. I do that as soon as I feel the pace, I ask them to go back to a gait. Consistency, as with any other horse, is key. Also, when he goes back into his gait, relax again and let the pressure off (some people seem to forget to do that).

#15 · (Edited)
You made a comment that he seems to be a little more pacier sometimes when you ride and you wonder if it is the way you collect on him.

Different people bring their horses to my husband complaining that they can't get their horse to gait anymore. My husband can get on them and ride them and it never fails to amaze me the difference in the gait that my husband can get them to do if they have the ability to gait, he can get it out of them. Instead of usually retraining a horse to gait he usually has to teach the rider how to ride their gaited horse. Now, what I am going to say next, I know that I will get a lot of heat and comments from others but I am going to say it anyway. My husband always rides with spurs but I don't think I have ever really seen him use them. He also collects them up he says that most gaited horses have been trained to ride smoother with a little collection. The gaited horse owner is always amazed how my husband can get their horse to move like that. I am saying all this is because it is possible that your horse was trained to move smoother collected up more and they might have wore spurs. My husband always has the smoothest horse with the best gait around and their not always like that when he first gets them but they always end of that way. He is well known in this area for his gaited horses and we live in horse country here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.