The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Charcoal pencils (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/charcoal-pencils-111623/)

Snizard93 02-02-2012 07:04 PM

Charcoal pencils

My boyfriends mum bought me some new charcoal pencils, but they don't smudge very well :-| Which ones do you use?

midwestgirl89 02-03-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snizard93 (Post 1338895)
My boyfriends mum bought me some new charcoal pencils, but they don't smudge very well :-| Which ones do you use?

There are many different kinds of charcoal that you can use...coming in many different forms. I started out with the ones that look like pencils, usually the coating is orange? I see them pretty often in a lot of places. But I don't like how they blend personally. I'm not sure which ones you have but that's been my experience with those. You can get charcoal sticks that look like sticks of chalk. I've worked with those a LITTLE bit. But that gets too messy. I get more on my fingers and jeans than i do on the actual paper!
What I use for my work is a combination of both concepts. The ones I get specifically are General's (brand) peel and sketch. It's a pencil but instead of having to sharpen there's a string that runs through it that you pull a lil bit and peel away the paper, leaving the end like the charcoal stick. may be a lil funky to explain but it's worked really well for me. They aren't very expensive. I get mine at hobby lobby and for a pack of three (hard, medium, and soft) it's about $6. I like the consistency a lot too. They blend pretty well with tortillions as well as fingers. I usually stick with the medium and soft. The hard I'll keep for detailed work that I need a more concentrated color in a thinner area without a lot of fall-out.
Just realized this got wordy. Whoops! Hope I helped a little bit.

Snizard93 02-03-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestgirl89 (Post 1339455)
There are many different kinds of charcoal that you can use...coming in many different forms. I started out with the ones that look like pencils, usually the coating is orange? I see them pretty often in a lot of places. But I don't like how they blend personally. I'm not sure which ones you have but that's been my experience with those. You can get charcoal sticks that look like sticks of chalk. I've worked with those a LITTLE bit. But that gets too messy. I get more on my fingers and jeans than i do on the actual paper!
What I use for my work is a combination of both concepts. The ones I get specifically are General's (brand) peel and sketch. It's a pencil but instead of having to sharpen there's a string that runs through it that you pull a lil bit and peel away the paper, leaving the end like the charcoal stick. may be a lil funky to explain but it's worked really well for me. They aren't very expensive. I get mine at hobby lobby and for a pack of three (hard, medium, and soft) it's about $6. I like the consistency a lot too. They blend pretty well with tortillions as well as fingers. I usually stick with the medium and soft. The hard I'll keep for detailed work that I need a more concentrated color in a thinner area without a lot of fall-out.
Just realized this got wordy. Whoops! Hope I helped a little bit.

Thanks very much :lol:

Flintlock 02-03-2012 09:20 PM

I use the orange ones....."General's".

Here is a Wild Turkey pic I call "Hammertime!" which I finished this weekend, using the "General's" charcoal pencils, hope you like it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Hammertime.jpg

Snizard93 02-04-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flintlock (Post 1340732)
I use the orange ones....."General's".

Here is a Wild Turkey pic I call "Hammertime!" which I finished this weekend, using the "General's" charcoal pencils, hope you like it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Hammertime.jpg

Aw that's great :lol:

midwestgirl89 02-04-2012 03:22 PM

Hey Flintlock! It's nice to know there are other artists out there who use the more inexpensive supplies too. Hoped I wasn't the only one! I figure whatever works great for you.
Great to see new work from you!

Flintlock 02-06-2012 07:36 PM

Thanks midwestgirl89! Now, it is time to find a horse to draw....

Wess