The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   All Tips: (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/all-tips-111637/)

crzyhrse 02-02-2012 09:08 PM

All Tips:

I am doing a show this Saturday (Feb. 4) and all tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

capercowgirl 02-02-2012 10:25 PM

Make a check list and make sure you get everything ready the night before and do all your grooming then. Like braiding, last minute trims or bathing. If you want you can cover them when they sleep if you want to make sure they don't get dirty.

Arrive early to the barn the day of the show and do any last minute touch ups to your horse. When you get the the show make sure you have at least one person there helping you because it will get very stressful and there will be A LOT to do. Make sure you have lots of water, hay, and sawdust because you might not be able to find any there when it is needed. A trick that is used a lot is when it is hot and humid out add a bottle of gateorade or powder to their water. This will supply then with electrolytes.

There is a longg list of stuff I could type but that is just mostly getting ready for the show. Hope that helped a little, and good luck at your show :D

aqharyder 03-01-2012 12:26 AM

When in the warm up arena, try to scope out possible competitors. See if any of them have a nervous horse, if so let them be far away from you in the show pen, and if you see a horse going much slower than your horse try to go in front to them. I just try to have an idea of what might go on in the show pen. The one thing I try not to do is start comparing my horse to theirs. Just makes me more nervous, so I just figure I'll let the judge do that.

Good Luck! - Oops just saw the date of your post - I hope you did well!

flyingchange1991 03-30-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capercowgirl (Post 1339250)
Arrive early to the barn the day of the show and do any last minute touch ups to your horse. When you get the the show make sure you have at least one person there helping you because it will get very stressful and there will be A LOT to do. Make sure you have lots of water, hay, and sawdust because you might not be able to find any there when it is needed. A trick that is used a lot is when it is hot and humid out add a bottle of gateorade or powder to their water. This will supply then with electrolytes. There is a longg list of stuff I could type but that is just mostly getting ready for the show. Hope that helped a little, and good luck at your show :D

does sawdust = shavings/bedding?
also with the electrolyte trick you can get powdered electrolytes at fleet farm or tractor supply its in the dairy cow section

capercowgirl 03-30-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingchange1991 (Post 1431821)
does sawdust = shavings/bedding?
also with the electrolyte trick you can get powdered electrolytes at fleet farm or tractor supply its in the dairy cow section

Yes that is the bedding. Usually they have some you can buy at the shows, where I live they have unlimited bedding.