The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Crack/split on horses frog. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/crack-split-horses-frog-111667/)

melmotthecat1 02-03-2012 03:54 AM

Crack/split on horses frog.

I'm fairly new to this website so sorry in advance for anything I may not understand.

To the point.
Yesterday I rode my 6 year old thoroughbred, just plain excersize and jump practice and she seemed fine, no lameness or sore anywhere.

It was raining a fair bit today so I just lunged her for bit (very soft grass) and she seemed lame when trotting. I checked all her feet, cleaned them out etc etc, and I found on one of her front (can't remember which side) frogs had a split or crack from top to bottom.

I should also include her frog is very close (if not sitting right on) the ground. She has very sensitive feet and feels pain when even walking on a road,dirt and rocks without shoes. She's not shod at the moment her feet are growing as she had a fair bit of her hoof ripped off when a shoe was stuck.

Any help I would really appreciate

IquitosARG10 02-03-2012 04:16 AM

I would not feel comfortable giving advice on an injury like that without seeing it, but my first reaction would be to get it clean and soak it with epsom salts and warm water. I would call the vet and ask for their recommendation.

Without seeing it it's hard to make a judgement call.

I don't think it's uncommon for thoroughbreds to have thing soles, mine does. Since I've had him he has never had shoes but I finally had them put on at the beginning of last year...I had test done and the results showed that he has thin soles so now I have pads put on his fronts as well.

I would also talk to your farrier and your vet to see if there's a more advantageous way your horse can be shod.

I hope this helps a little bit!

sierrams1123 02-03-2012 05:15 AM

I would also like to get a picture.
Its best to consult a knowledgeable farrier in this situation, if not a vet.

melmotthecat1 02-03-2012 05:18 AM

I'll get a photo in the morning and post back asap.

melmotthecat1 02-04-2012 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the really bad quality, but this is it :/ She's still lame today :(

sierrams1123 02-04-2012 02:09 AM

Not showing up for me.

melmotthecat1 02-04-2012 02:10 AM

Yeah sorry had to go back adn put the picture in :s Theres a bit of dirt there but you can see it retty much is the whole length :/

IquitosARG10 02-04-2012 02:16 AM

Well it looks to me like is foot is really dry...is it dry by you? Or is he turned out on sand?

I would imagine your horse is very tender and uncomfortable one it! The fact that it is an open crack will make it very easy for thrush to creep in!

I'm no expert but if it were my horse I would call the vet and see about some antibiotics. I would also soak it in a diaper with some sort of solution, then let it air dry - rinse and repeat!

IquitosARG10 02-04-2012 02:18 AM

Does it smell at all?

melmotthecat1 02-04-2012 02:20 AM

It's actually been a bit wet lately because we've had a fair bit of rain, hence all that green grass haha. But No doesn't smell. I'm going to get the other lady from my paddock to look at it before I call a vet, They're pretty pricey around here and I'm only an 18yo student so :S