The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Dressage Lessons, timelines & goals (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/dressage-lessons-timelines-goals-111668/)

Pizmo 02-03-2012 05:00 AM

Dressage Lessons, timelines & goals

I've just started taking dressage lessons, and i was wondering what i should aim to achieve say in the first 3 months & then 6 months & so on.
Is there anything a beginner at it should concentrate on learning & get that down pat before moving on to something harder.

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device

DuffyDuck 02-03-2012 05:02 AM

What is your previous riding experience, and that of the horse?

Its different if you're a complete beginner to someone who knows the basics and wants to refine,
and for the horse if its green in the dressage area, or a school master :)

Pizmo 02-03-2012 05:18 AM

I have about ten years of riding experience, not formerly taught but am very new to dressage.

I've only had those two lessons about a year ago, then I took a break to have a baby.

The horse is a school master one of 5 at the school think. It's a top class Dressage school with highly qualified trainers.
I'll be having weekly lessons (wish i could afford more :))

Thanks for the reply
Posted via Mobile Device

IquitosARG10 02-03-2012 05:19 AM

Subbing to hear opinions!

DuffyDuck 02-03-2012 05:48 AM

So, you can w/t/c confidently?

If I throw in half halt and connection, evading the bit, correct rider position etc you know what I'm on about?

In all honesty, time lines depend on your ability, the horse and the tutor.
I would be happy if I could walk and trot in a working gait happily within a couple of months, do basic school figures in posting and sitting, keeping the rhythm and connection with the horse's mouth and in a correctish outline.

Luckily if the horse is a school master this should be far easier for you than a horse which has relativley no experience.

kitten_Val 02-03-2012 12:13 PM

My situation was different (as it was green rider + green horse with no formal training combo), but we started showing after 6 months of lessons for my horse and 9 months lessons for myself (I couldn't trailer my horse for lessons in winter, so kept taking some on boarder's horse, which was not nearly a schoolmaster lol!). My goals were for my horse mostly though (as my own experience was just coming together).

Since you ride on lesson horse (that suppose to know their job) and you have 10 years of riding experience yourself, I'd expect you progress faster then we did. I'd say in month or 2 you should learn to feel the contact and start learning correct cues, leg yield, and so on. Sounds like lots of fun to me! Good luck with your lessons!