The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   pole barn (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/pole-barn-111679/)

ridingforafall 02-03-2012 10:01 AM

pole barn

We are building a pole barn at our new house. We have one horse right now and are planning and getting a mare and foal set next year. My husband and i ride everyday and we live right next to a canyon we can ride out our back yard and up the canyon any time we want. we are planning this pole barn and seeing how big it needs to be. any advice? we need to stay in a budget of $300. We have already spent $90 and bought 10 sheets of plywood. would a 8X10 be big enough with an acre to go on whenever they want and with being riden almost everyday?

natisha 02-03-2012 11:33 AM

That size would be OK for one horse but is too small for 3, even if they liked each other.

Corporal 02-03-2012 11:52 AM

That's a small budget. =/. I think you'll get a shelter out of it--where do you live? Also, how do intend to store hay/grain? I've been on several threads and a few of us have talked about buying materials for building a few pieces at a time, then, when accumulated, we can advance and finish our building projects.
Lowe's sells leftover pieces that the suburbanites don't want to store after they've paid their 25 cents/cut. Usually Mondays and Tuesdays are the best days to buy these--some pieces are quite large. I've paid between 25 cents/piece to $1/piece. Often there will be damage on the corner of a 1/2" or 3/4" section of plywood--I've gotten some of those pieces almost 4'x8' for my building projects. They throw away whatever doesn't clearance out. Don't use particle board outside bc it will rot out on you. Hope this helps you. =D

ridingforafall 02-03-2012 04:35 PM

the 8X10 would be for each horse. We have been buying things off of ksl and getting good deals we just bought some metal roofing, more plywood and 2x4s my husband is getting them tomorrow.

Darrin 02-05-2012 09:38 PM

The 8x10 will work for you current horse but not for the additions. Build the 8x10 now and start buying your expansion a bit at a time. By the time you get your new horses you should be able to expand.

ridingforafall 02-06-2012 10:32 AM

yay

we ended up getting some stuff second hand. We spent a total of $323 and build 2 10x10 stalls! thank you guys for your help!!!