The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   lazy horse transformed? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/lazy-horse-transformed-111687/)

barrelbeginner 02-03-2012 11:59 AM

lazy horse transformed?

Okay So I have a qh/ paint gelding named Poncho. I try do do barrels with him but he likes turns a mile around the barrel and wont turn around like abarrel horse would. Is there some steps that I could take to correct this and make him turn around it better. Also, he is one of those horses that gets bored easily. So what could I do to make it fun for him?:D

MangoRoX87 02-03-2012 12:55 PM

Has he ever been trained to run barrels? Barrel horses are trained to turn around the barrel, not just put on it randomly then show up at the NFR :)
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 02-03-2012 12:57 PM

well no, my other horses all turn on like a dime and he just decides that hey theres this barrel and I dont want to turn around it. But if he isnt turning around something he turns. Its just going around the barrels.

CLaPorte432 02-03-2012 01:12 PM

893 Attachment(s)
You cant just jump on a horse and go run barrels. It takes months, sometimes years to get a well seasoned barrel horse. You are pushing too hard, too fast and your going to ruin him before you make it to your first show.

barrelbeginner 02-03-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1339942)
You cant just jump on a horse and go run barrels. It takes months, sometimes years to get a well seasoned barrel horse. You are pushing too hard, too fast and your going to ruin him before you make it to your first show.

I havent even done more then a walk with him on barrels. I was just wondering what I could do to make him turn when I tell him to. What he does is continue to walk forward even if I have his head turned. Ya know what I mean, I am not jumping him into barrels too fast. I I have not done more than I walk with him doing barrels!

farmpony84 02-03-2012 01:17 PM

you need to get him using his rear. I'm not a barrel person but I would assume you'd want to do a lot of roll backs and such but before even doing that you'll want to get him balanced and in shape. If he's not turning on a dime, it's probably because he's not balanced and he's in shape....

barrelbeginner 02-03-2012 01:19 PM

alright thanks for the advice. And sorry for the mis understanding guys above. I got all confused with what I said. I am not running him or even trotting him around the barrels. thanks

CLaPorte432 02-03-2012 01:19 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Sounds like he shouldn't even be looking at a pattern right now and should be focusing on just basic training. There are holes in the training if you are telling your horse to turn and he just keeps walking forward.

barrelbeginner 02-03-2012 01:22 PM

Okay im getting confused. He turns if I am like out on the trail. If I try to get him to turn like 180 degrees he does like it. so what kind of exercises can I do? and thanks for your help, I guess your right. I should get all the foundations done before considering indroducing the pattern. But what can I do to improve his turning?

barrelbeginner 02-03-2012 01:23 PM

oh and could it be the bit I have him in. I just have him in a O ring snaffle