The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Are My Filly's Joints Okay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-fillys-joints-okay-111719/)

Freelance Cowgirl 02-03-2012 04:43 PM

Are My Filly's Joints Okay?

I rescued a Saddlebred filly a few months ago and she'd apparently just turned 2 when I got her, if she was even that old. When I went to check her out the day I got her, the man that owned her (he was at least 230 lbs) was riding her in a one of those real heavy old typed western saddles. She was malnourished; you could count every rib and the bones of her spine, and her hips were stuck out like blades. I've gotten her back in good health, she's got a nice thick winter coat, her mane and tail are very thick and healthy now. You can't feel any of her bones anymore, she's a nice weight, and she's grown like a sprout.

One thing I worry about though, is her joints. The man said he'd ridden her 4 times (what an idiot), and when I started her lunge training (which she learned beautifully) I noticed her hocks sort of... popped. It wasn't a sound, but you could see they kind of made a little snapping motion when she trotted. I don't know if that's normal, but that's one thing I noted. She does all the gaits I ask her to, and she's not afraid to jump at all. But she never gallops. She moves, but she moves like an older horse. Slow and careful. Horses her age I've seen are full of life and bouncing all over the place, running around. But I've never in my life seen her gallop. A lope/canter is the fastest I've seen her go. Maybe she just doesn't gallop much though, I don't know. She might plot and only gallop when I'm not around!

I was just curious if this was normal, or if I need to get something checked out.

CLaPorte432 02-03-2012 06:03 PM

Call a vet.

Skyseternalangel 02-03-2012 06:06 PM

Sometimes joints pop because they're full of air or perhaps she's over reaching a little and clipping her own feet.

There are so many reasons, but if you're worried you can always grab a phone, ring up the vet for a full soundness exam. It's a good idea to get one every so often anyway to check where they are, if they need anything special.

That's my advice to you :) Good luck with her, glad she's in better hands!