The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Thoughts on stallion/mare cross (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/thoughts-stallion-mare-cross-111741/)

StraitGirl 02-03-2012 08:11 PM

Thoughts on stallion/mare cross

We purchased a mare a few months ago with the intention of breeding her to the right stallion. We love her bloodlines, confirmation as well as temperament and can't wait to have our first foal from her!

Unfortunately she does not have any points or accomplishments as no one ever broke her to ride but she does has two, out of four AQHA foals that have earned AQHA achievements as well as other achievements outside of the association.

The sire we’re considering for the foal is a well bred, very handsome, well built stud with a great confirmation and temperament. He is not proven either but he was started in reining when he was younger with the intention of showing him until the owner was told by the trainer that he was not “hot enough” to compete. On the upside, he does have proven foals with achievements outside of the AQHA. His foals are also famous for their great temperaments, good minds and ease to train.

Here are the bloodlines of our mare and possible sire (both are listed on All Breed Pedigree):

Dam: Goetzs Lina Bikini
Goetzs Lina Bikini Quarter Horse

Possible Sire: Nu Peppy Cody
Nu Peppy Cody Quarter Horse

What we’re looking for is a cow/working cowhorse prospect. We also have a great and accomplished reining/working cowhorse trainer that we currently have one of our young horses with for training and hope to send this future foal to him when he/she is of age.

We have been searching for a stud for several months now and have even posted “want ads” to see what is available in our area/Province. Unfortunately, I have not found anything I like.

I happened across this stallion only because I had previous horse dealings with the owner and funny enough, I found out that he owned my mare many years ago and she’s already had one beautiful filly by this stallion. When I called him up, he was willing to allow us to bring her up this spring to breed even though he doesn’t normally stand his stallion to the public. On top of that, he’s not asking a lot for the stud fee since he knows us and the mare.

We’re not looking a foal that will earn us millions of dollars in the ring (although that would be nice, lol!). What we are looking for is a good minded, well tempered prospect/horse that we can use in cow/working cowhorse but should also make a great trail mount as all of our horses enjoy a life of “just being a horse”.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :D

nrhareiner 02-03-2012 08:40 PM

First has your mare been HERDA tested? She has 2 lines up close that are known carriers. Next I would take a good look at the stallions legs. He has lines known to have leg and feet problems. ALso look at your mare to make sure that she has good solid legs and feet. If not look for anouther stallion. Over all they are both well bred horses. Since your mare has proven produce I would be looking for a stallion who is more proven if it was me. At the end of the day pick the best stallion you can afford even if that means shipped semen. With all the cost involved with training and showing do not start out cheap.

StraitGirl 02-03-2012 08:55 PM

nrhareiner, no worries about HERDA :-) I am well aware of the threat with her being double bred Barry Pine (Poco) and we will be having her tested before breeding. I was shocked when we bought her that after four foals, no one ever bothered to do it with her breeding!

She has good solid legs, great bone and beautiful feet. We don't breed but fell in love with this mare for the whole package so decided to buy her and breed her ourselves instead of trying to track down the new owner with hopes of buying one of her foals.

As for the stallion, he looks great in pictures (that's all we've seen so far) but we will be going to view him before making our final decision.

CLaPorte432 02-03-2012 09:23 PM

893 Attachment(s)
We'd love to see pictures of both! :)

StraitGirl 02-03-2012 09:40 PM

The problem is, I don't have a single picture that does our mare justice and I only have one picture available of the stud on this computer.

We just bought the mare a few months ago and all I have are pictures taken by her previous owners and they are HORRBILE! They only took casual pictures and they're all bad angles. I was planning on taking better pics but haven't done it yet :-(

I will post one of each with what I have but PLEASE, no nasty comments.....I know they're horrible but they're the best I have right now!!!!!! :lol: More to come shortly, mare sooner than stallion as I would like to take more pics of the stallion when we go see him.

Our mare:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...ucy4small2.jpg

Possible stallion:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...nfillysire.jpg

mudpie 02-03-2012 09:49 PM

Why do you need a foal?

StraitGirl 02-03-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 1340770)
Why do you need a foal?

We don't "need" a foal, we would like one, out of this mare. We are breeding for ourselves, not for sale or profit :-)

mudpie 02-03-2012 10:15 PM

Hm. Neither of them are "spectacular," and your mare is weak in the loin and steep in the flank. She also looks downhill, but I think it may just be the picture. She's by no means a bad horse, but I'm just thinking that there's a well bred foal out there that can work for you instead of you bringing more horses in to a world that's filled with unwanted horses... :\

:)

nrhareiner 02-03-2012 10:18 PM

I persomaly would use a Hollywood Jac 86 bred stallion. Also if you are looking for reined cow horse you will need to add a bit of cow.
Posted via Mobile Device

StraitGirl 02-03-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 1340803)
Hm. Neither of them are "spectacular," and your mare is weak in the loin and steep in the flank. She also looks downhill, but I think it may just be the picture. She's by no means a bad horse, but I'm just thinking that there's a well bred foal out there that can work for you instead of you bringing more horses in to a world that's filled with unwanted horses... :\

:)

mudpie, I completely understand your concerns (too many horses in the world needing homes). We are not breeding for anyone but ourselves and the foal will be ours alone and not for sale so we are not adding to the population per say, just our family.

As for the pictures, please see my comment before I posted the pictures. I fully expressed that the pictures were bad and asked not to be "judged" by them when I posted them. If they are going to cause a problem, I will pull them until I can update them. :-)