The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Fish!! Does anyone know anything about them!? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/fish-does-anyone-know-anything-about-111742/)

Sparkyintention 02-03-2012 08:12 PM

Fish!! Does anyone know anything about them!?

Okay, So as I was strolling through Walmart I decided it was time for another fishy! I was so excited and I told my mom to pick one out. There were a FEW out of about 50 or 60 there that weren't tattered up, they had males next to males, one of the fish had blood in his water and I was beyond appalled.

So, mom picked out this little guy, he's just a blue male and I don't think hes anywhere full grown because he isn't as big as any male I've seen or previously owned. Any who, I asked a worker what was wrong with him, and she had no idea. So, I bought him because I didn't want a guilt trip 2 hours home because I didn't buy the poor little fellow!

When we got home, we took a closer look and there are holes in his fins everywhere, he has an appetite, and eats everything, he was nibbling on the plastic plant earlier, so along with the poor treatment I wonder how often he had been fed! The edge of his fins are BLACK. They are all deteriorated, but despite that he swims okay and seems a lot happier in his new home.

Mom went and bought Tetracycline Tablets to see if we can get it to stop, I feel so bad for him! If fish could speak he might have some words to say! I was just wondering if these tablets don't work, is there anything else we can try!?

Will his fins ever grow back so he looks normal? He's a gorgeous dark navy blue color with red streaks through what fins he has left and it would be a shame if he couldn't reach even 1/4 of his beauty potential!!

If anyone has any advice I would surly appreciate it! I'm a horse person, not a fish, so I'm honestly quite stumped!!

P.S. His name is Shredder, how appropriate!

VT Trail Trotters 02-03-2012 08:16 PM

I had a fish whos fins were getting eat by another fish who was mean and we... story might offend some people. But a few months later his fins grew back fully.

Sparkyintention 02-03-2012 08:19 PM

LOL. I understand. So chances are they will grow back?!

VT Trail Trotters 02-03-2012 08:23 PM

Yes it will take about 3 months or so but they will.

themacpack 02-03-2012 08:24 PM

So it sounds like you are talking about a betta, no?
His fins can recover - you will have the best chance of a full and colorful recovery by providing an optimal environment and diet. What sort of habitat is he going to be kept in? What will he be fed?

FlyGap 02-03-2012 08:27 PM

28 Attachment(s)
So I'm guessing he's a beta? If so he should have been kept seperate from other fish. Long fins, minus bites right? They'll be tattered for a long time, may get better... You don't have him in a tank with others or one with a strong current?
If you found anything disturbing at wm you need to write them a letter! Or at least call the manager. Poor fish!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sparkyintention 02-03-2012 08:28 PM

Yes, He is a betta! Right now he is in a gallon fish bowl and I'm gonna put a real plant in there to oxygenate the water for him! I went to an actual fish store, and they were short on answers as well, so I bought him TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets with color enhancers. Should I be giving him something else? I just feel so bad for the little guy! He isn't full grown, that I do know but If I had the money I would have bought every unhealthy fish there to try to save them :(

FlyGap 02-03-2012 08:34 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Mee too! Good job!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sparkyintention 02-03-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyGap (Post 1340652)
So I'm guessing he's a beta? If so he should have been kept seperate from other fish. Long fins, minus bites right? They'll be tattered for a long time, may get better... You don't have him in a tank with others or one with a strong current?
If you found anything disturbing at wm you need to write them a letter! Or at least call the manager. Poor fish!
Posted via Mobile Device

He is kept separate yes! I said something to the lady at the register and she said she was " scared of fish so she couldn't do anything about it ". Really? The little fellow isn't going to bite your finger off! I was extremely appalled. My mom does dog rescues and we have had foster horses and animals in and out so it really broke my heart to see a place of business with such awful conditions for their fish! The water was disgusting, it was just horrible.

FlyGap 02-03-2012 08:38 PM

28 Attachment(s)
I just LOL! For sure contact someone.
Posted via Mobile Device