The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Lessons...in NYC? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/lessons-nyc-111824/)

saddlesandskis 02-04-2012 07:39 PM

Lessons...in NYC?

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm majoring in public relations in college. Therefore, once I get a job, it is possible that I'll be in NYC, because that's where a lot of good PR jobs will be, and for companies I'd like working for. (The other possibilities are Los Angeles and San Francisco as far as jobs.) But my dream has always been to be an eventer, even if on a low level as a side interest, and I'm on my school's dressage team now. So if I do end up moving to NYC, will there be barns who can train me to be an event rider in/near such a big city?

mudpie 02-15-2012 03:49 PM

Yes, there are stables in New York City. I've heard about how crazily awesome some of them are in some there's literally someone that hands you a towel to dry your hands with in the bathroom, and the horses go underground and up stories to fit in the stables.

So here's my advice: Google it!

MyBoyPuck 02-16-2012 08:05 PM

If you do end up working here in NYC, there are number of good barns in New Jersey about an hour's drive from Manhattan. I only know of one place in Riverside directly in the city and it's big bucks. I'd definitely start poking around in NJ. Lots of eventers out there. I'm in CT which is also eventer heavy, but if you want to stay closer into the city, NJ is the better bet.

BrinkofSunshine 02-16-2012 08:47 PM

There are stables in New York City, just not in Manhattan (as far as I'm aware). When I lived there I did a lot of research and discovered a few in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens.. Once you live there you'll have a better idea of how far you'd want to travel. Unfortunately I decided it was just too much of a hassle/too much money to take lessons when I lived there... hope you have better luck!

Cowgirls Boots 02-16-2012 08:58 PM

im an hour from NYC...there are barns there but you can bet your butt there big bucks! if i were you id browse around the upper Ny/Nj/Ct area for a nice barn.

saddlesandskis 02-17-2012 12:16 AM

Thanks everyone, I found a few in NJ about an hour out!