The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   new at showmanship...not at riding :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/new-showmanship-not-riding-111914/)

pastrychef 02-05-2012 01:13 PM

new at showmanship...not at riding :)

Ive rode and shown in barrel racing, did some jumping, even pleasure classes, BUT ive never shown in showmanship or halter. Never had interest to....but i have a new filly and would like to show her in it.
Which is better showmanship or halter? or should i do both?

The only thing i know, is to make her look pretty (lol) and i know where and how to stand , and where to move to as the judge is walking around us....

Anything else i should know or tips?

Ohhkierst 02-07-2012 03:01 AM

showmanship pro :)

well... halter you dont do anything but walk your horse, usually past the judge (judges) and you trot off to the lineup once you pass them. then you set your horse up.. which im sure u know the idea of doing that (and how) and just wait to be "inspected" ... based totally on your horses conformation and nothing else. Also, your able to touch and move your horses feet to set them properly.

Showmanship you and your horse are judged. You will have a pattern to do with turns, pivots, trot offs, trot in a circle, backup, and also set up in front of a judge. And you can't touch your horse.

by asking which is better.. is a hard question. I love showmanship, but i also do halter so that I can get my horse in the ring and get him listening and setting his feet properly. For you, if your horse can't pivot on the hind foot and back up and all of the given showmanship stuff I would start with halter just to get your trot offs down and your set up practiced. But that is if your horse is totally new at this.. Getting them to set their feet is the hardest part I think... and im still trying to master a complete set up off of a stop without having to fix it before a judge.

Showmanship is hard. halter isnt. lol I was at a show this past weekend.. a halter horse can be acting up, having to reset, do some circles and get control and still win first as long as it can present itself to the judge when they walk to them. also Halter is VERY political just as other events .. but like I said.. to get your feet wet. Go with halter... how is your horses conformation?

Horsel02 02-08-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohhkierst (Post 1346003)
Showmanship is hard. halter isnt. lol I was at a show this past weekend.. a halter horse can be acting up, having to reset, do some circles and get control and still win first as long as it can present itself to the judge when they walk to them. also Halter is VERY political just as other events

I know how that goes. At one show my horse reared straight up in the air and we won that class. It was Grooming and Conditioning.

I know I got some evil looks when my horse got first in that class.

Pagelle 02-09-2012 08:00 PM

I saw this book at Amazon on Showmanship At Halter - I just ordered it

Not sure if this will help you or not but there is a really new book out on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Showmanship-At-Halter-Winning-Patterns/dp/146813518X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328835570&sr=8-1. A girlfriend of mine ordered it too!

Elle

pastrychef 02-12-2012 10:42 AM

thanks

thanks !, i guess halter it will be.... and ill check out the book!

Western2English 03-05-2012 11:56 PM

Okay I'm pretty much saying what other people are saying.

Showmanship is judging YOU. I like Showmanship because I have to learn about my horse and it's health. You're being judged on your knowledge and handling skills. You aren't allowed to touch you're horse during you're pattern and set up so know that if you ever try it.
Halter judges your horses conformation so if you're horse doesn't have very good conformation that Halter might not be a strong spot. I like Halter because it's simple. There isn't much to it and that makes it fun and easy.

Firecracker 03-15-2012 02:14 PM

Ohhkierst said getting to set the feet is the hardest part.

For showmanship, I tell my horse to "square" and then move his feet into position. He is getting better but is definately not perfect. Does anyone else have tips on squaring their horses feet?

pastrychef 03-15-2012 09:52 PM

my filly is pretty good at setting up, everytime i have her out or on a lead, and we are doing "work" together, setting up is part of it. :)

Firecracker 03-15-2012 10:14 PM

Good point. I like to take even the simple walks from the corral to the barn as learning time. This year will be one of the best we have had for showmanship.

DazzleHerWithRoses 03-19-2012 06:09 PM

You are going to have to work extra hard for showmanship, but not so much for halter.