The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   reconquering old fears (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/reconquering-old-fears-11193/)

ayeshaqureshi00 07-08-2008 01:35 PM

reconquering old fears

My horse, a 17 year old Quarab has recently become scared of things that she wasn't in the past. It began a couple of days ago when we were cantering past a pool and she heard the buzz of the motor. She started spooking and almost threw me off so I dismounted and walked her around it both directions, while talking to her. I then got back on and rode her around it. After the pool she noticed a tarp on the ground. I walked her around it both directions and let her mouth it and eat some grass around it. I'm going to be placing one in the arena to get her reaquainted with it. Now she has been acting spacy around this fifteen foot stretch of the arena that she normally does well on. The first day I dismounted and lunged her instead, but she has done it again and I don't know what to do with her. She gets very ansy, and I'm stern with her. I also fly spray her before we ride and hose her down when we're finished. Any help is much appreciated.
ASQ

barefoothooves 07-08-2008 01:49 PM

Could she be having a problem with her eyes? Horses that start to have vision issues can become very insecure, depending on their personality.

Can you see any unusual colors/cloudiness in the eyes anywhere? Discharge or squinting in the sunlight? Hold the head to one side?

There are progressive eye disorders that will sort of come and go and get worse each time, leading to blindness. Cataracts and glaucoma can affect horses, or there can be cornea scarring from scratching her head on things.

Or, it could just be an off day and she's spazoid for no apparent reason to humans. But keep an eye on her ..um..eyes.. Pun not intended!

ayeshaqureshi00 07-08-2008 01:56 PM

Hahaha I will definately check her eyes...they appear normal but I do a more thorough check later. Also could the sun be bothering her?

barefoothooves 07-08-2008 02:16 PM

Could try a fly mask. they help filter sunlight.

bevie 02-16-2009 11:46 PM

My horse acts like this in spring however its now summer in the land of oz and he his doing the same thing to me.I am begining to wonder with my horse if his sight is going as he is 23.Have you been extra anxious or upset before riding.Could he be picking up on you nerves ect?

My2Geldings 02-17-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayeshaqureshi00 (Post 113700)
My horse, a 17 year old Quarab has recently become scared of things that she wasn't in the past. It began a couple of days ago when we were cantering past a pool and she heard the buzz of the motor. She started spooking and almost threw me off so I dismounted and walked her around it both directions, while talking to her. I then got back on and rode her around it. After the pool she noticed a tarp on the ground. I walked her around it both directions and let her mouth it and eat some grass around it. I'm going to be placing one in the arena to get her reaquainted with it. Now she has been acting spacy around this fifteen foot stretch of the arena that she normally does well on. The first day I dismounted and lunged her instead, but she has done it again and I don't know what to do with her. She gets very ansy, and I'm stern with her. I also fly spray her before we ride and hose her down when we're finished. Any help is much appreciated.
ASQ

Taking health problems aside, you said you got off after she spooked? bad idea. Horses are extremely intelligent and I would wonder if she's learned that you get off when is acts "scared". To the untrained eye it might look like she legitimately scared but it might be a game to her.