The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What to do when not riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-do-when-not-riding-111930/)

WesternBella 02-05-2012 04:12 PM

What to do when not riding?

Any ideas on what to do with my horse when I can't ride? Even though I am giving him a break from riding, I still want to be with him and have fun..any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 02-05-2012 04:15 PM

Ground work is never a bad way to pass some time.

Roperchick 02-05-2012 04:44 PM

what i tell everybody else...horse soccer! go out with a horse ball and just kick it around with them...i did this with charlie alot and we learned alot about each other doing it.

loosie 02-05-2012 05:36 PM

I think just hanging out with them is very underrated!:wink:

Other than that, there's plenty to keep yourselves mentally & physically exercised. Take him for walks, teach him to 'dance' with you, play 'chasey', teach some tricks - I agree, soccer is fun! Set up an obstacle course, teach him some of that other stuff that you always meant to but haven't got around to, improve things you've already taught him...

WesternBella 02-05-2012 06:25 PM

Went for a walk down the road with him today, learned hes not a big fan of cars...or small dogs running loose LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 02-05-2012 06:50 PM

well there you go....work on him with his bomb proofing just find all kinds of things for him to freak out about and work with him on not freaking out....

Skyseternalangel 02-05-2012 06:56 PM

I like to go on jogs with my horse on trails or whatnot. Here I haven't because the trails are kind of dodgy (what's a sinkhole?!?!)

I also had a water fight with my horse.. but it's a bit too cold for that.

I braid his mane and tail and then chase him around the arena. He loves it haha

tlkng1 02-05-2012 07:00 PM

Yep...perfect time for bombproofing..get out all those really scary things like blowing tarps, styrofoam cups rolling around, your arms waving around, oh and those really scary things that eat horses...plastic bags. :)

Borkus 02-05-2012 07:02 PM

I don’t ride my horse that much, but I do a lot of “long rein” training, and we both have great fun with that J You can do all kinds of stuff then, go for a walk, do dressage, train him to pull stuff. It’s a fun way to teach your horse new movements that you can use when you ride. And as a bonus you get some exercise too.

Prinella 02-05-2012 07:03 PM

Good time to practice braiding if your not good at it too!