The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   AQHA now offers Genetic testing. Good on them. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/aqha-now-offers-genetic-testing-good-112026/)

franknbeans 02-06-2012 12:21 PM

AQHA now offers Genetic testing. Good on them.

I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. Good job AQHA.
AQHA: Genetic Testing

DrumRunner 02-06-2012 12:24 PM

Very good idea!

CLaPorte432 02-06-2012 01:08 PM

Very glad to see this.

gigem88 02-06-2012 01:30 PM

That's good to hear!

trainerunlimited 02-06-2012 02:57 PM

That is a great step forward, making these tests easily accessible! Awesome!

nrhareiner 02-06-2012 06:22 PM

That is all find and dandy but why would I pay that much to have a horse tested for everything when most of the time you only need one or maybe 2.

franknbeans 02-06-2012 07:05 PM

Guess you are paying for the convenience to some extent.

nrhareiner 02-06-2012 07:36 PM

Not really. You can pull hair one time and pay UC Davis one time and save a few bucks if you do not need all the test. Why would you pay for HyPP if your horse does not go back to Impressive or if the sire or dam that does is neg but you need a HERDA test? Even if you need 2 of the test is it still less to just have those 2 done. You really would need 3 or more to make it worth while.

I am almost thinking UC Davis wants a larger sample pool for some of these test to see if it is in other lines and is doing this to get people to send it in.

franknbeans 02-06-2012 08:22 PM

Could be. I do feel like a great benefit to this is education of the masses. Even if that is all that happens this is a good thing. You are not the type I am concerned about. :-) You are intelligent and know enough to test. Many do not. Shoot, I have a friend who has her first quarter horse, (a Smart and Shiny filly, but that is beside the point:-) ). This friend has a BS in equine science, coached collegiate teams, has shown since childhood in many many disciplines and had NO clue about the hereditary diseases of QH's. She thought that if they were not to be bred, it was not a factor. And she is far and above the average back yard horse owner! So, if a little pamphlet comes in the mail when some new person registers there new widdle pweety poneh.....and it makes the aware-I am all for it.

MHFoundation Quarters 02-06-2012 08:25 PM

I agree franknbeans, even if all it does is promote awareness. Now if they'd split them up and be comparable on their pricing, that would be fantastic. I'd do it all at once when registering just for the convenience.