The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Leather Care? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/leather-care-112084/)

Lexiie 02-06-2012 08:30 PM

Leather Care?

So I am hopefully going to be getting a new saddle soon(: Actually from someone on here. VERY excited!
I've never had a leather saddle before, so I want to take really really good care of it. I have Leather CPR which I know is good for scratches and keeping it conditioned.

What about saddle soap/oil and what not? If I use saddle soap or oil, how often should I do that?

What are a few good brands?

COWCHICK77 02-06-2012 09:58 PM

I like to use Leather New made by Farnam. It seems to work good. I only do our saddles about twice a year and our saddles get used pretty hard. I will take a vacuum cleaner and suck all of the dirt off and out of the cracks, wipe it down with a rag, then use the Leather New with a damp rag (or toothbrush if it is tooled) and scrub on it. Let it dry and then buff with a soft, dry clean rag. I do all the undersides of the skirts, fenders undo the stirrup leathers to get all of it.

I have also used Murpheys Oil Soap with a little water and a sponge or Olive Oil. But most of that stuff will darken leather.

I have been told not to use Neatsfoot Oil Compound because it will break down leather.

There is probably better ways, but I have been getting by with doing it this way.

Lexiie 02-06-2012 10:00 PM

Thank you! Is Leather New expensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 02-06-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1345522)
Thank you! Is Leather New expensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I think a good sized spray bottle of it is $14 at Tractor Supply, it will last quite a while. And I just found it in a 64 oz. jug for $20 at a tack store.

Lexiie 02-06-2012 10:05 PM

Wow. That's not bad! I will invest! Hahah(:
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 02-06-2012 10:12 PM

Whoa, if the saddle is the light colored leather, tread carefully. Some have protective finishes. Any scratches or dings will show up immediately and may not go away of anything is used on the leather. The darker colors are safer to work with. You can use Feibing's paste soap with conditioners in a can. The large are about $6. A bar of glycerin also works at about the same price. Also be sparing in your use of oil. Overoiling can make the leather gummy and it doesn't come out.

Lexiie 02-06-2012 10:25 PM

The saddle is pretty dark. Definetly wouldn't be considered light colored.
How do I know I'm using too much/little oil?
Posted via Mobile Device

jumanji321 02-06-2012 10:29 PM

If the leather isn't absorbing it, there is too much. At least I think that's how it works.

Lexiie 02-06-2012 10:30 PM

That makes sense.
And I shouldn't oil it very often, correct?
Posted via Mobile Device