The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Keeping a horse on its own????? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/keeping-horse-its-own-1121/)

llangybis_cowgurl 03-16-2007 09:13 AM

Keeping a horse on its own?????

PLEASE HELP!
I got a Welsh cob half a year ago. He has been kept at grass for the whole time with 6 other horses. My parents have decided that it would be cheeper and handier to move my horse to a field closer to home now that we have permission from the fields owner. The problem is my horse would never even stay in a stable on its own when he was at the livery yard and I am worried that if I move him closer to hme he will jump out to go back to the other horses.
I have heard you shouldnt keep a horse on its own anyway but I often see horses on their own in fields and they look happy enough. I also read that goats or sheep make good company for horses so we wouldnt have to buy another horse. Could anyone give me any advice on this? Will my horse jump out if he is on his own?? should I not attemt to keep him on his own at all?? Will a goat really become his best friend??? :?

sparky 03-18-2007 02:26 AM

Some horses seem to do alright by themselves, but i would not encourage leaving one horse by himself. Horses are herd animals, and need to have company, so if you were going to move him to a paddock near your house, he does need company. Even if you don't get a goat, a little shetland can be quite a good companion.

Horse Chick 03-19-2007 12:59 PM

i used to keep my horse by himself but he didn't quite like it so i bought a donkey to be his buddy out in the pasture. And she is a really good companion.

horseoftheyear 03-19-2007 01:53 PM

it all depends on your horse try leaving him/her on there own for a

couple of hours and see how it goes x x x :)

savepitbulls 03-19-2007 08:20 PM

Some horses are okay by themselves, some aren't. A goat isn't a bad idea but there are usually horses available for super cheap or free that are only suitable for companion animals.