The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Stopping the bucking/bolting horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/stopping-bucking-bolting-horse-112142/)

ReneeM 02-07-2012 06:23 AM

Stopping the bucking/bolting horse

So i need a back up plan......i've just started riding my OTTB mare, she's so quiet and easy to handle but fairly nervous when it comes to being ridden. She's been going well so far as i've been going slow and giving her time to relax and realise it's not all that bad to be ridden again.
BUT even though she is so willing and really listening to me i'm a little worried that when i start to ask more of her-some trot/canter transitions etc. she may respond by bucking/bolting (she does buck occasionally on the lunge) i guess i'd feel alot more confident if i had a plan if this did happen.
Have you experienced bucking/bolting and how have you controlled it..what has worked for you? If you've got any tips for me that would be great. Thanks :-)

franknbeans 02-07-2012 07:53 AM

Does she have a history of this? Why would you be so afraid she will? Sounds to me like maybe you need a trainer/instructor to help you with her. It is not good to start out afraid.

ModernThreat101 02-07-2012 08:04 AM

Redirect her head if she's in a bolt. Horses can turn and dodge quickly, but it'd be hard for her to keep up the steam if she's circling continuously into her bottom. Don't be mean about it, just be firm. You've mentioned she's already unsure about being ridden, so gentle firmness (comparable to the suddenness of the bolt) is necessary to show that You are in control. Enough times of going in circles and she'll eventually get it that bolting is not fun, and she has no reason to be scared because you're in the 'lead'.

A buck is counteracted by keeping her feet moving, and not giving her that chance to bunch that back end. Again, circles and figure-8's are a great way to redirect her energy. If she's having a particularly spooky day in her transitions, leave the session on an up-note; walk for an extra few minutes before dismount and untacking like normal.

I highly advise getting to know/consulting a trainer, no matter what can be suggested on an internet forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

whispering willow 02-07-2012 08:20 AM

I have experienced this. But the thing is, you would need to ride through it. And even if she started to buck or bolt, be firm and not mad or frusterated....they will sense that. What I do is to say i always end on a good note. Never get off of her when she's bad, that will just teach her that to get away from somthing like this, all she has to do is buck or bolt. Good Luck :)

gypsygirl 02-07-2012 09:26 AM

when she bolts, how far do you think she would go if you didnt do anything ? i have some experience with OTTB mares [not saying they are all the same though !]. and i have found that if they are feeling nervous and then bolt, and you trap them [by pulling back on the reins] it can lead to them being more nervous. if you are experienced enough/ comfortable enough, i would try to not interfere when she bolts and she what she does after 10-12 strides, she might find that she has no reason to run because shes not trapped. if she starts bucking like crazy, you need to interfere !

i helped one major bolter in this fashion, she would literally bolt 10-15 times every time her owner rode her, because her owner got so tense and clamped down on her. bolted a total of twice with me over a 6mo period. i stopped working with her, and a couple years later her owner ended up euthanizing her because she started bolting again. wish she had told me, as the horse was fine, it was the owner =[

candandy49 02-07-2012 09:42 AM

I am giving you a website address for those who have extensive OTTB retrainng programs for new to OTTB ownership. An OTTB can be retrained for a new discipline, but it takes more knowledge than starting a young horse.

Exracers.com Forums - Home

Click on Forums

Best of Wishes for success with your horse.

ReneeM 02-07-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1346135)
Does she have a history of this? Why would you be so afraid she will? Sounds to me like maybe you need a trainer/instructor to help you with her. It is not good to start out afraid.

Whenever i've seen her get over excited or if she doesn't want to be lunged in the opposite direction and i make her go that way she tends to buck so i just thought she might do it when i'm i the saddle....she doesn't have a history of it to my knowledge but you can't aways believe what someone tells you.
Yes, i know..i have never felt afraid with any other horse i'm just a little more wary with this one and i agree i'll definately get the advice of a trainer, mine has just moved away but i'm sure i could find one to come out and atleast let me know we're on the right track because there's no way i can expect her to be calm if i'm a little on edge! Thanks for your advice :-)

ReneeM 02-07-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1346212)
when she bolts, how far do you think she would go if you didnt do anything ?

I don't think she'd go very far once she realised it wasn't getting her anywhere, that's a good point i reckon some horses would panic even more if they felt trapped when they bolt out of fright. Just thinking if i ride her in the round yard to start with i can avoid her bolting altogether :-) thanks for your help :)

gypsygirl 02-07-2012 05:25 PM

good luck !

ReneeM 02-07-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModernThreat101 (Post 1346140)
Redirect her head if she's in a bolt. Horses can turn and dodge quickly, but it'd be hard for her to keep up the steam if she's circling continuously into her bottom. Don't be mean about it, just be firm. You've mentioned she's already unsure about being ridden, so gentle firmness (comparable to the suddenness of the bolt) is necessary to show that You are in control. Enough times of going in circles and she'll eventually get it that bolting is not fun, and she has no reason to be scared because you're in the 'lead'.

A buck is counteracted by keeping her feet moving, and not giving her that chance to bunch that back end. Again, circles and figure-8's are a great way to redirect her energy. If she's having a particularly spooky day in her transitions, leave the session on an up-note; walk for an extra few minutes before dismount and untacking like normal.

I highly advise getting to know/consulting a trainer, no matter what can be suggested on an internet forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, that helped alot! I'm sure doing circles/figure 8's like you say will also work if she's not listening to me or if she's a little spooky. She shouldn't buck at all if she just keeps calm and listening, if i don't confuse her or make her nervous she should be her usual quiet self. Yes, i agree about the trainer i will do :-) thanks again.