The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   breast plate/collar suggestions? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/breast-plate-collar-suggestions-112154/)

Jumper12 02-07-2012 11:10 AM

breast plate/collar suggestions?

I was thinking of getting a breast plate or collar for my horse as her saddle has been slipping back a little but I dont know what to get, Ive never needed one before! Its not slipping back horribly, just 1-2 inches but with her big TB withers it changes that fit a lot! Thanks for your advice...

MIEventer 02-07-2012 11:41 AM

I would go with the 5 point. Reason being is because it connects to both areas that other breast plates connect to - breast plate connects to the D rings and the Breast Collar connects to the billets/girth.

The 5 point connects to both. It's quite popular in the Eventing World, because of this reason.

I have the same issue with my TB gelding, my saddle slips back just ever so slightly. I got the 5 point because it is elastic, gives and takes with the horses movement, but also stabilizes the saddle better than the others.

snootyfox 02-07-2012 03:05 PM

If your horse has prominent withers and you attach a breastplate to the dees on your saddle (even the five point version) you will be putting a lot of pressure down on the points of the saddle. I use a standard hunting breastplate but attached to the billets under the top of the flap the way they were designed. I recommend this attachment to all my saddle clients as well and the results are great. It keeps the saddle from slipping back as a whole unit without any downward pressure on the withers and shoulder blades (the shoulder blades are usually what is pushing the saddle back on narrow TBs anyway). The standard breastplate is also less "stuff" to fasten and maintain than a five point. You may need to replace the straps with ones at least 28" long. As a test use a loop of baling twine to attach the straps of you breastplate to the tops of the billets and see if you like the results.

Jumper12 02-08-2012 10:55 AM

thanks for your advice! i definitely dont want anything that will make the saddle put pressure on her shoulders, I jump in a huntseat saddle that fits pretty far forward.
thanks!! :)

eventerdrew 02-08-2012 12:21 PM

Nunn Finer Hunting Breastplate - American Made

This is the one I use. Without elastic. I don't like it and it's not good for a saddle that slips back. If done properly, it will not inhibit the horse at all.