The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What would you call these spots? Freckles?

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Piaffe 
#1 ·
This is my 17 yr old 15hh appy/qh mare, Journey. I call them freckles, but don't know if there's a formal term for these markings on her nose. She's a sweetie. I love her freckles. She has no other appy spots except for two very faint ones--one on her left shoulder and one on her rump. :cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Snip fail. Haha! Yeah, maybe. I saw somewhere that you've been around a lot of appaloosas, Faceman, so now I don't feel bad that nobody I've met around these parts has seen anything like her nose, since you haven't. :lol:

She does have other appy characteristics. White sclera, mottled skin, striped hooves, short, coarse mane and tail.

She's a red dun, too, so she's unusual, to say the least.

I've only had her for two years and don't know her background. The lady who my barn mgr. got her from for me had only had her for a few months. Never considered that it could be from an old injury. The skin looks good under it. I know she has the scar from an old halter injury ??? up higher on her nose.

Anyhow, here are a couple of other pix. In the one where she's sticking her nose in the camera you can see the mottled skin in her nostril. :)

Attachments

#7 ·
Has she got any other appy characteristics aside from these spots? Mottled skin, scelera and striped hooves? Can we see more photos? I have no idea what is causing the spotting on her nose, and can't really see it clearly enough to have a good guess.

Have you owned her all her life? If not, do you know if the spots have been there since birth?

#9 ·
I am leaning towards scarring too. Not from an injury, but from a fungal infection. However, those pics are still a bit blurry, and it makes it hard to even guess what is going on.

#10 ·
Some spots are the result of environmental factors rather than genetic ones. Pelouse's Queen (Pelouse x Harem Queen, by Nathoo), a 1965 dark bay Thoroughbred mare, was so afflicted by a skin disease that her coat grew back in white where it had been scarred by the fungal infection. She was purchased by an Appaloosa breeder, but as she did not of course carry the leopard complex (not found in TBs), she could not pass on the color.

Wow, this horse had what you're talking about on its whole body!

Poor Journey. If what you're saying is feasible, I'm glad she's healthy now with just freckles to show for it. I like 'em. Not trying to make them into some mark of excellence. Just curious.:lol:

Thanks, everyone!

#13 ·
Hmm. All very fascinating, Faceman! Here's a flash pic of her last summer. Her "freckles" sure do look a lot different when she's shed out. I'll have to watch how they change. Geesh. I kinda hope it's an appy thing and not a past infection thing. :lol:

Here's another interesting link about odd patterns of white spots possibly related to past environmental skin issues, too...

White markings and fungal infections « The Equine Tapestry

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.