The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Is there such a thing as Homozygous solid? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/there-such-thing-homozygous-solid-112173/)

Cinnys Whinny 02-07-2012 01:09 PM

Is there such a thing as Homozygous solid?

Okay, I know it's kind of a stupid question, but I know there are horses that are homozygous for colors, or for a color pattern, but what about solid? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

xxdanioo 02-07-2012 01:50 PM

Like a homozygous black?
They are solid until a pattern is introduced. It depends on the other horse- if their pattern is homozygous or hertrozygous.

If you breed a solid paint to a homozygous splash then they will have a splash, but if the spash was hetrozygous, you have a 50% chance I believe.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong!

Poseidon 02-07-2012 02:56 PM

Sure you can have a horse that's homozygous solid...they just don't carry any white genes. :lol:

I'm assuming you mean white patterns. I'm not entirely knowledgeable on how tobiano works if it causes different markings between hetero/homozygous (other than it isn't uncommon for homozygous to have "paw prints", I believe). Though it is entirely possible to have a very minimally marked tobiano.

Obviously you cannot have a homozygous frame , ha. As for splash and the test becoming recently available, it appears to cause minimal markings when heterozygous and over 50% white on homozygous (see the examples here: Morgan Colors- Splashed White Morgans).

As for sabino, rabicano, etc, I am unsure.

nrhareiner 02-07-2012 06:20 PM

Sorrels who have no patter are homozygouse solid.

Faceman 02-07-2012 06:41 PM

Sure, solids can be homozygous.

Mine are homozygous for stupid...

sommsama09 02-07-2012 07:02 PM

Haha Faceman *giggles* :) Gosh i know alot who are homozygous for hooning and thinking they are "jagger" and that the song "im sexy and i know it" is all about them :)

Chiilaa 02-07-2012 08:20 PM

I think this is a hard one to know at this point in time. Currently, it is widely believed that not only do horses have white creating genes, but that they also have white suppressing genes. These supression genes try to stop white from showing, and what happens is you have white restricted to "normal" markings, such as socks, or stars. However, as more and more tests become available, we will learn more and more about this stuff.

trainerunlimited 02-07-2012 08:35 PM

I don't see how a horse can be homozygous solid, because if you breed it to a paint, you have a 50/50 chance of paint. I've never heard of a horse who wouldn't throw a paint when bred to one. If you breed a solid to a homozygous paint, you'll have a paint, right? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Faceman 02-07-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainerunlimited (Post 1347312)
I don't see how a horse can be homozygous solid, because if you breed it to a paint, you have a 50/50 chance of paint. I've never heard of a horse who wouldn't throw a paint when bred to one. If you breed a solid to a homozygous paint, you'll have a paint, right? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

White trumps base color...

Chiilaa 02-07-2012 08:43 PM

First off, what you're thinking of is "pinto", not "Paint". A Paint is a horse registered with the APHA. A pinto is any horse that has a white pattern that displays more than "high" white - more than leg and face markings really.

As I said, there is more at play. We have documented evidence of tobiano horses that have "minimal" white when they are homozygous for tobiano. Some just have a single sock, or no white at all. So yes, breeding to a homozygous tobiano, for example, guarantees that the foal will have a copy of the tobiano gene. However, this is no guarantee of pinto markings.