The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Define; Professional Trainer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/define%3B-professional-trainer-112175/)

Sinister 02-07-2012 02:29 PM

Define; Professional Trainer

This has been kind of nagging at the back of my mind for a little while now. What makes a trainer a professional trainer? I've started training horses on my own in the last few years [I had trained many horses with the help of my instructor before that, no worries!] but in no way shape or form am I a "professional".

mls 02-07-2012 02:58 PM

In the terms of the associations - it means you have been paid to train a horse.

kitten_Val 02-07-2012 03:24 PM

LMAO, mls! Very true.

Although since these days every 2nd person calls self a "trainer" and offers lessons (not free obviously), I call "professional trainer" someone who actually knows what he/she is doing and can make a reliable riding partner out of your horse.

Sinister 02-07-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1346653)
In the terms of the associations - it means you have been paid to train a horse.

:rofl: Well I feel pitty for all the "professionally" trained horses out there. :-P

Sinister 02-07-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1346686)
LMAO, mls! Very true.

Although since these days every 2nd person calls self a "trainer" and offers lessons (not free obviously), I call "professional trainer" someone who actually knows what he/she is doing and can make a reliable riding partner out of your horse.

Haha, thanks for the better definition! We have quite a few "professional trainers" around here that give lessons. :roll:

wetrain17 02-07-2012 04:32 PM

i would define a professional trainer as someone who has a successful facility, soemone who competes in all levels. Someone who is patient, kind, but knows how to get desired results. But most important, someone who listens and works with the owner/student in regards to what they want, where they want to go in their riding, and can take them to that level.

kitten_Val 02-07-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetrain17 (Post 1346794)
i would define a professional trainer as someone who has a successful facility

Interesting enough many trainers around here (especially the younger ones, but I know some older too) don't have a facility (which doesn't make them less professional). They are based of someone's place, or travel around to the clients.

GhostwindAppaloosa 02-07-2012 09:11 PM

a professional is anyone who accepts money for lessons or horse training. That being said. you can often times get great results from "less known" trainers because they HAVE more time to work with your horse. I have a few friends who sent their horses to very well known trainers to only get one ride a week on them for quite a bit of money