The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   How lower neck/head . (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/how-lower-neck-head-112196/)

KGolden 02-07-2012 04:44 PM

How lower neck/head .

The mare I've been working with for this summer carries her head perfect naturally at a walk and lope but when I ask her to jog she raises it, rounds her neck and tips her nose in . All the horses started at my barn are trained to lower their head by squeezing with your legs and wiggling the reins a little . I don't want to force her down but I want her to relax and do it naturally . And when I ride her English and ask her to extend her trot she lowers it perfectly . What am I doing wrong and is there any way I can fix it ?
Posted via Mobile Device

RisingGlory 02-07-2012 07:54 PM

This is probably something you've already done and is suggested a lot, but anyway. Check his tack. Make sure nothings too tight.

KaleylovesCharm 02-26-2012 08:28 PM

Try checking physical problems. It might be how she balances herself at the canter. I would try small circles(:

raywonk 02-27-2012 03:32 PM

do some softning excesizes at the jog. Maby horse is over colecting.

GotaDunQH 02-29-2012 06:21 AM

Ride the body and the head will follow.

QHDragon 03-15-2012 02:39 PM

I just started my mare in western riding before Christmas and she is having 30 days put on her right now to get a show ring finish. My trainer had me work a lot on getting her to lift her back, and did lots and lots of small circles and getting her to move her hips over. Over time all of these put together have encouraged her into a natural self carriage. I am now moving her to one handed riding. The biggest thing is going to be getting your horse to lift his back. Think of a horse as a see-saw. If the back is hollow then the head is going to come up, if the back is lifted the head is going to come down.