The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Bay Roan (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/bay-roan-112216/)

Lexiie 02-07-2012 08:01 PM

Bay Roan

1 Attachment(s)
So I have a bay Standardbred. She'll be 9 years old in November.
She got white flecking everywhere on her body, but the black on her legs, and the moon on her face. It's not a LOT of white, but it's there. There's also random white hairs in her mane and tail. Year to year, the white shows up a little more. I know that there is such a thing as a bay roan, I've also heard that if one of a horse's parents was a grey, they could turn grey at any point in their life.
What do you guys think?
I want to know what to call her, a bay or a bay roan?
In the picture you can kinda see it on her neck. She has a lot on her butt too, but it's in the darlk.

Chiilaa 02-07-2012 08:23 PM

She is a bay. It is not uncommon for horses to have white hairs flecked through their coats. It is more common in chestnuts, but can happen in all colours. I don't think she is greying - you would generally see that first in her face, and she shows no other signs. If she had no other dense area, I would wonder if that area on her withers was injury related, but since you say it's on her butt too, I doubt it is.

Bridgertrot 02-07-2012 08:24 PM

I'd say she's just a plain bay. Bay roams look like this:
http://www.whitehorseproductions.com...s/roan_bay.jpg

The white hairs may be grey coming in but I could be wrong. Do you know her parents colors at all? Does she have a face marking? If so do you have a picture? I've noticed that a lot of greys will have a blurry look to face markings. Her tail should have some white in it too if she were graying.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 02-07-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1347267)
If she had no other dense area, I would wonder if that area on her withers was injury related, but since you say it's on her butt too, I doubt it is.

I worried about that spot, but it's been there since I got her two years ago. She was hardly ridden previous to me.
I had not seen her after a few months and the white on her withers and butt had gotten MUCH more noticable. She's just quirky. There's a lot of other bays at my barn and none of them had a white. I thought maybe she was just a little more special<3 hahahah

Lexiie 02-07-2012 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's her face(:

Lexiie 02-07-2012 08:30 PM

I'll have to get a picture of another horse at my barn. He's definetly a bay roan, but there's not THAT much white. More than my horse though

Chiilaa 02-07-2012 08:30 PM

Definitely not greying. Just weird white hairs :-)

Lexiie 02-07-2012 08:32 PM

Yay<3 haha
thanks guys((:

sommsama09 02-07-2012 08:47 PM

Subbing bc i want to see pics of the horse at the barn :D

Lexiie 02-07-2012 09:00 PM

I'll take pictures of all of them
actually i have all but the one i want you to see