The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Corrective Shoeing! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/corrective-shoeing-112243/)

Randella 02-07-2012 11:48 PM

Corrective Shoeing!

I'm curious about corrective shoes for my 3 year old TB.

Was wondering if anyone has had any corrective work done to their horses? If so, what did you get done, and was it effective?

If anybody knows of a reputable farrier in central Ontario, please let me know! :)

AmazinCaucasian 02-08-2012 09:51 AM

It's like everything else, it depends on who's doing it
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 02-08-2012 08:21 PM

What are you trying to correct?

missyclare 02-09-2012 12:43 AM

Bones don't move, so if you are trying to change the run of them, it can't be done, not at this age.
I was hoping that your post would say corrective trimming, because bare, she will continue to develop and strengthen the back of the hoof and that's everything.
Tell us what you are trying to correct and post some pics. Then we can give you some custom answers.
I'm in Ontario.

Clava 02-09-2012 05:54 AM

At 3yrs the internal hoof structures are not fully grown / developed so any shoeing is likely to make them weaker for the rest of her life. I would look to barefoot rehabbing.

loosie 02-10-2012 01:54 AM

Generally speaking, I think there is *correct* shoeing and I wouldn't really consider shoeing an immature horse correct.

Randella 02-10-2012 06:03 PM

I guess you guys are right, corrective work would be a more appropriate term for what I'm looking to do. In fact I'd like to avoid shoes at all costs. I'm just curious about it for the comfort of my horse - and having never had anything of the sort done, I figured some research was in order - and this is the verrrrrry early stages of it. So no worries about jumping in with both feet really soon.

My TB was shod when I got him (OTT), and I had the shoes pulled. The farrier said he had decent feet, and should be able to go barefoot.

What I'm looking to correct, (or at least try to make more comfortable for my horse), his front legs are both twisted in - one to a worse degree than the other. The farrier said that he's not toed in, and that because of his age, it might be able to be corrected with some work.

I'll be posting pictures soon.

loosie 02-10-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randella (Post 1352557)
What I'm looking to correct, (or at least try to make more comfortable for my horse), his front legs are both twisted in - one to a worse degree than the other. The farrier said that he's not toed in, and that because of his age, it might be able to be corrected with some work.

Depends what exactly it's caused from as to whether it's changeable at all, whether for eg. the bones & joints are not straight or his barrel is wide, pushing his elbows out, or whether it's just tight pectorals or some such, but I'd find a good chiro or bodyworker to advise/treat.