The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Standardbred knees - Possible Buy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/standardbred-knees-possible-buy-112268/)

SkyeDawn 02-08-2012 10:54 AM

Standardbred knees - Possible Buy

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, this is kind of a continuation of a thread from here:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...buying-112024/

I went to the guys house and took a picture of her legs last night, unfortunately there wasn't much room to get any good conformation shots. He is bringing her to the barn on Friday. My trainer is testing her then, I will get some movement videos of her and some good conformation shots.

Quick recap, she is $300 and I would like to buy her. The place she was bred from didn't race her because her knees were underdeveloped and she was tied in at the knee. I understand not wanting to spend the money to train and race a horse you have no plans of breeding.

My question is, are her knees bad enough to keep me from purchasing her? My plans for her are mostly to trail ride, but there are some jumps on the trails we go on. Nothing huge, just some logs and things like that. I'm also interested in dressage.

I know this picture isn't a lot to go on, thank you so much to anyone that donates any time to helping me with this.

Also, she is pigeon toed in the front and her feet bother me. Is this something that can be worked on with proper trimming? The guy that currently owns her is incredibly nice, but he trims all of his horses feet and I'm fairly certain he has never had any kind of training. He said he just keeps them ground down?

I know she is filthy and this is a poor picture, thank you to anyone that has the patience to help me! lol

BornToRun 02-08-2012 11:03 AM

I have a hard time seeing the extent of her knees from the picture, just that she's a little crooked. I think she would be fine for trail riding and some small jumps. I can't say anything about dressage, because I'm not really sure. I think if you were just pleasure riding her, she would would be fine. Standarbreds are great horses! Have you talked to your vet about her knees?

SkyeDawn 02-08-2012 11:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple more pictures of her.

ETA: Yes, I've spoken to him about her knees. He's coming out to look at them in about a week and a half. He's going to be in Michigan for a week doing a clinic so he isn't available until next weekend.

SkyeDawn 02-08-2012 11:15 AM

Sorry about the sideways picture. She does look tied in to me, but it doesn't seem to be any worse than most standardbreds?

Also, if I do get her, you can bet she is going to be on some groceries.

Tequila1233 02-08-2012 01:27 PM

I think she is very pretty. I think she would be fine for trails and stuff. I used to own a 16.2 standardbred with tied up knees. Never a problem. She Looks Awfully skinny but like you said you would give her alot of 'Groceries' (: