The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Surprise Foal! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/surprise-foal-112271/)

Shefff 02-08-2012 10:11 AM

Surprise Foal!

4 Attachment(s)
Here's my 16hh Appaloosa x Oldenburg, BJC Padma Escapade. Her sire was 17hh homozygous black Oldenburg stallion, Gatsby.

She turned out black with molting, striped hooves, very few faint snowflakes, annnnd the rat tail. :) She's super cute... not to mention, a beautiful mover.

I bought her May 2011.... and it turns out she was bred! I thought it was an out-of-control "grass belly." She's normally on the broad side anyways, so it took me a while to realize what was going on.

So, I have a surprise baby that should arrive within 30 days. (I'm guessing the first week of March.) Not an ideal situation, but I'm going to make the best of it. I must admit, I'm excited!

The dad is this 16.3hh blanketed Appaloosa, BJC Asher Seven. So, it should turn out to be a stunning creature! :)

BaileyJo 02-08-2012 10:26 AM

Exciting! Glad you caught it before the baby arrived!

Just out of curiosity, how is it that the previous owners did not know?

csimkunas6 02-08-2012 10:26 AM

Oh wow!!! Well, Congrats on your surprise! :D

Look forward to seeing that baby :D

Shefff 02-08-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileyJo (Post 1348224)
Exciting! Glad you caught it before the baby arrived!

Just out of curiosity, how is it that the previous owners did not know?

I have the same thoughts.
As soon as I realized it wasn't just a grass belly, I googled the pervious owner just to see if she even owned a stallion... And it turns out she does.
I contacted her right away and let her know my suspicions. She said, "She escaped once. Although it would seem unlikely, it IS possible."

Ha! There ya have it.:?

SunnyDraco 02-08-2012 10:42 AM

She was determined to have a baby. LOL

Looking forward to seeing more pictures :D
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 02-08-2012 10:46 AM

I think every one popped onto this thread because they were hopping for a baby XD

BaileyJo 02-08-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shefff (Post 1348237)
I have the same thoughts.
As soon as I realized it wasn't just a grass belly, I googled the pervious owner just to see if she even owned a stallion... And it turns out she does.
I contacted her right away and let her know my suspicions. She said, "She escaped once. Although it would seem unlikely, it IS possible."

Ha! There ya have it.:?

The stallion is very nice. Yeah, you would think she would have wondered a little bit more if a mare turned up in a stallion's area. Most stallion owners would know that it is possible. Hmmm..... Sorry, this is a peeve of mine. But looks like you will have a nice baby. Congrats!

Are you thinking of registering the foal? Just wanted to ask because sometimes we get so excited and haven't thought about it. I am not a breeder so I know nothing of this sort, but do you have to get something from the stallion owner to do so? Maybe someone else will know. I'm only thinking of the value of the foal due to having to spend money on mare care and foal care. Value is not everything but just in case you ever wanted to sell, you will have a registered foal.

BTW, I am very glad you caught it!

Drifting 02-08-2012 11:13 AM

I hope the baby gets the stallions tail! .. and his facial markings, I love his.

Shefff 02-08-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileyJo (Post 1348271)
The stallion is very nice. Yeah, you would think she would have wondered a little bit more if a mare turned up in a stallion's area. Most stallion owners would know that it is possible. Hmmm..... Sorry, this is a peeve of mine. But looks like you will have a nice baby. Congrats!

Are you thinking of registering the foal? Just wanted to ask because sometimes we get so excited and haven't thought about it. I am not a breeder so I know nothing of this sort, but do you have to get something from the stallion owner to do so? Maybe someone else will know. I'm only thinking of the value of the foal due to having to spend money on mare care and foal care. Value is not everything but just in case you ever wanted to sell, you will have a registered foal.

BTW, I am very glad you caught it!

Yes, I will be registering the foal. The stallion's owner actually suggested it when we spoke. I appreciate you mentioning that though.

...And I do believe we're on the same page; If you're going to own a stallion, be responsible and accountable for his actions. lol

Shefff 02-08-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1348254)
I think every one popped onto this thread because they were hopping for a baby XD

I will post pics the min he/she is born... I promise!:-)