The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   What to look for? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/what-look-11230/)

mbraun3 07-09-2008 05:36 AM

What to look for?

Hello, i'm sure you've heard this question many times lol but here it goes: When buying a horse what do you look for? A good reliable breeder (i've come across some in the reptile world that act nice and reliable and good but when something goes wrong they have dropped off the face of the earth) What qualifications should the horse its self meet so you know you're buying a good healthy horse? (again i've seen people buy reptiles and they are fine and then all of a sudden the reptile dies from a disease...) i'm sorry i'm comparing things to reptiles, its something i like alot and thinking of those situations helps me with gathering information i need on other similar situations... So how can you tell if the breeder/owner is reliable and how do you know if you're getting a healthy horse?

Melissa

P.S. i want a horse so bad right now... :( too bad i dont have the money and have to wait... :cry:

mbraun3 07-09-2008 03:49 PM

i'm going to guess it doesnt matter? lol

Melissa

Mariel 07-09-2008 11:04 PM

ok...well first temperment...how does the horse act around you, owner, and other animals and horses...then have YOUR vet (not thier vet) check him out...ride him...do you feel confortable riding him in all gaits....ask the owner why they are selling him...lead him through some scary situations and see how he reacts...and make sure he is ok with you...the horse chooses the rider...not the other way around...

mbraun3 07-09-2008 11:50 PM

Thanks so much for this Mariel! its really helpful! :D

Melissa

Mariel 07-09-2008 11:57 PM

lol its not a problem!! i am in the same boat but i have a good instructor and a ton of books...lol

mbraun3 07-10-2008 01:13 AM

What are some good books and magazine subscriptions? i bought a few but am open to buy more! lol

Melissa

Mariel 07-10-2008 10:59 AM

well firse just the basic...they show you good confrentation...(spelling...??) they also show you some of the basic illness...so you can see the horse and if theres some kind of skin prop you can look it up...but thats also why you need your vet there...(if you use their vet...they might try to have a friend act as vet and give the horse a clean bill of health...even if its not at all healthy and very sick...that happened to a friend she got the horse home and he died the next week...)

PrettyJumper 07-10-2008 12:57 PM

If there a good breeder, ask for client references, talk to other buyers. Anybody that knows them, like said above VET CHECK, with YOUR vet. If she refuses to allow a vet check, walk away then, not later. Something Is fishy with that, If Its at your expense It should never bother them. Got a trainer? Bring them, look for good conformation, temperament and make sure they suit your riding needs. A horse who's weak In movement or Is sloppy, wont look good In the ring. To rough for you to ride, find something smoother. Remember browse, don't look at just one horse and decide. Give your self room for choices, you'll never know If there's better If you never look :wink:

Mariel 07-10-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

If there a good breeder, ask for client references, talk to other buyers. Anybody that knows them, like said above VET CHECK, with YOUR vet. If she refuses to allow a vet check, walk away then, not later. Something Is fishy with that, If Its at your expense It should never bother them. Got a trainer? Bring them, look for good conformation, temperament and make sure they suit your riding needs. A horse who's weak In movement or Is sloppy, wont look good In the ring. To rough for you to ride, find something smoother. Remember browse, don't look at just one horse and decide. Give your self room for choices, you'll never know If there's better If you never look
thats really good advice!!

mbraun3 07-10-2008 09:39 PM

MAN! sorry to hear about your friend! Thats really sad! THANKS for the Advice both of ya! if more comes to you just go ahead and let me know! :D

Melissa