The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Guck thats stuck (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/guck-thats-stuck-112300/)

yadlim 02-08-2012 02:23 PM

Guck thats stuck

So here is an odd one for you.

I have a long two year old who had no handling before we got her this last fall. With busy schedules, she has not gotten as much work as I would like, but is coming along decently. She mostly stands for grooming and we can pick up her feet - but it has do be done carefully.

So here is the problem. On day, about six weeks ago now, she found something truely gross to lay down in. The muck stuck to her fur then the heat of her body turned it to what seems like clay. Due to cold weather, a bath is out of the question - she has also never had one.

The spot on her face, we tried to wash off, but after twenty minutes of trying to soak the area with wet towels, we gave up and carefully used sissors to cut it off.

The bad part is that she has a lot of it on her belly in the girth area. I have managed to wiggle the sissors between the 'clay' and her skin to be able to cut off some of it. It was not exactly a safe procedure on such an untamed horse. I tried getting her used to clippers, but we are a long way from being able to do that.

There is still an area about four inches by eight inches, in several large 'chunks', that is on her belly at the girth area. It is has been there for so long that she is now sore under the 'clay'. She will no longer allow me to try to shave her with sissors in that area.

I have to get it off her NOW. We have come up with two possibilities.

1) Nair. A hair removal gel/foam, if I can get it under the clunks, might let me get it off. But I am worried about chemical burns.

2) The stable owner's hubby does have horse tranqualizer... we could knock her to loopy and then clip her - but this sounds like a REALLY REALLY bad idea.

Any other thoughts? Remember, this filly, though friendly, and really wants to be a good horse, she is not really trained or fully tame...

Speed Racer 02-08-2012 02:30 PM

Squirt mineral oil on her belly in that area. Rub it in gently if she'll let you. Let it sit awhile, and the gunk should come off.

mls 02-08-2012 02:51 PM

Or goo gone.

littleredridinghood 02-08-2012 03:51 PM

You could try Pam cooking spray. Spray on a thick coat, let it sit and curry comb gently. You might have to do a few coats. Could you take a picture maybe so we could see the mystery goo?

FlyGap 02-08-2012 04:11 PM

Whatever you do, never put a chemical on a horse that is for human use only. Nair can be very irritating even for humans and cause severe allergic reactions. Can you post a photo? If she is becoming infected under her coat I'd get a vet out to check her. I do think it's ok to sedate her and get this crud off!! Knock her out and go to town! Good luck!

yadlim 02-08-2012 04:33 PM

I have a pic at home that shows it a bit... but won't be able to go take actual pics of it until Friday - sometimes I HATE my schedule!!! I never have enough pony time.

There is no infection, just irrataion. The crud is mud and horse poop that has hardened into clay, so there is not sliding if off the hair. There is about 1/8 inch of hair between the crud and her skin, with this being winter wooly season, that means there is at least half an inch of fur tangled in the crud. At first glance, it looks like a mud ball that should curry out.

However, it is in clumps that are as large as two inches by four inches by an inch thick... This stuff is crazy tough and I can barely get it to chip. If I did not know better, I woudl say that there is some cement in it.

I will post the one pic that shows a bit of it tonight. I REALLY appreciate all the help with this. I need to get it off her without traumatizing her, which is hard as we are so new to our relationshp and she is so new to people. (Not to mention that technically it is my 20 year old daughter's horse, not mine. But as 'mom' end care of all animals is MINE)

Thanks again, and I will keep you posted!
yadlim

Lexiie 02-08-2012 06:01 PM

My mare got that on her legs. It takes a loooooong time to come off. It took me two days but I scratched it really good, then put miracle groom(bath in a bottle) on it, tons of it. I had to cut up a whole towel

PaintedFury 02-09-2012 02:27 AM

If it's causing irritation of the skin beneath it, it needs to come off now. You could try baby oil on it, since you can get between it and her body, pour some directly on top of the chunks, then use your hands to work it in on the outside of them as well. If there is any type of adhesive thing going on, it should break that down. Just keep working on it. If that fails, I would have the vet out to tranquilize her, so you can clip it off with the clippers. Then he can check that it's just an irritation and not an infection of some sort below the muck.

yadlim 02-11-2012 05:22 PM

So - I completely forgot to bring out the camera yesterday. The option to have a vet knock her down will takes a couple of weeks... grrrr they are all 'too busy'. I hate vets sometimes.

As it was warm yesterday, we tried using a hose with warm water to see if we could loosen it - but that turned into a near disaster. With me holding her lead, my daughter was slowly ooching the water closer to her when out of nowhere we had trouble! She had been ooching around the corner of the barn away from the water and none of us, inlcuding the stable owner who was ther to help, noticed a piece of fencing lying in the grasss. Yup, filly stuck one back leg through the fencing and absolutely exploded!

Thank god she does not pull on the lead. I threw my back against a stall and tried my best to talk calm to her as she GALLOPED back and forth in a semicirle around me, flinging this bit of fencing. My 20 year old daughter and the stable owner are screaming for me to let go of the horse before I get hurt ( I have a crushed spine and have been warned that one more fall from a horse and I am paralized from the midback down for the rest of my life). Luckly the side to side semicircles (bouncing off stall walls in the asileway at each end) with the three feet of rope that was between her and me, threw off the bit of fence off her leg.

Once the four of us could breath again we were all estatic to find no damage to the filly.

We spent the next half hour reassuring the filly that water does not cause that, but were unable to get her to calm down enough to work the gunk with the hose.

The stable owner's significant other owns tranqualizer, but for liability reasons will only use it under life and death situations. Which I can understand.

With no other options, we broke out the VEET - which is the hair removal stuff my daughter uses. We spent the next two hours convincing an already stressed out filly to let me work the stuff up under some of the bigger chunks, lettign it be for five minutes, then using a sweat scraper to scrape the hair. Each application I got about 1/8th of an inch of hair out from under a chunk that is about four inches by six inches by almost an inch thick.

We mananged to get most of the smaller pieces, one inch diameter and smaller, off. The big chunk is about half off, but by that time, we were all too tired to continue.

Then it was time to spend about half an hour convincing her to stand and let me sponge the area clean of all the chemicals. The filly was not amused. I just kept at it until I was certain that there were no more chemicals on her skin.

The stable owner was horrifed as she realized the full extent of the gunk. Until then, she had not climbed under my half wife filly to look at it... gee, I wonder why? LOL

So, the filly looks wierd as heck with a big area of her girth area completely bare. There are also a few small spots on her legs where I dripped the VEET. She looks like she has some sort of horrible disease! But I have to get that crud off. The skin is sore but so far it is not broken - so no infection.

You can just barely see the guck between her front legs in this pic, taken a week ago.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...Feb2012010.jpg

xXSerendipityXx 02-12-2012 02:40 AM

If you can, maybe try an electric shaver.