The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane and Tail Growing Tips ?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-tail-growing-tips-112316/)

LibbyLover1 02-08-2012 04:49 PM

Mane and Tail Growing Tips ??

Hi my mare has a really short mane and tail that i cant get to grow i need it to be long and pretty for a fun show i am going to. I have tried MTG for 6 weeks now it hasnt worked i have also tried baby oil but it doesnt work either. I read about the Fairytale horse formula does anybody know what it is and if it works. :-P Thank you

PaintedFury 02-09-2012 03:30 AM

Other than being short, is the hair damaged? Or does it appear to be healthy other than that?

LibbyLover1 02-09-2012 06:22 PM

Healthy Just a few split ends but i got some stuff for that

PaintedFury 02-09-2012 06:48 PM

Most horse's hair only grows about an 1/2 inch a month, so 6 weeks isn't really long enough to see a visual difference, short of measuring it. Granted, some horses grow more or less than that in a month. I've never tried the M-T-G on the manes and tails of my horses because they do not need it, the only thing that I have used it for is rain rot, and it worked beautifully. What I do, if I want to get my horses manes or tail longer, put baby oil in them, and get it completely combed through, and make small loose braids in the mane, and just braid the tail. I have found that that works for me.

I use the small braids because I've had better luck with them than the large ones. But, to each their own.

TimWhit91 02-09-2012 07:34 PM

condition and braid in loose small braids. It keeps it nice and clean and untangled and helps it grow a little more. I rebraid every other day so the braids don't get pulled out and pull the hair, and to make sure they stay loose. Also avoid brushing, it pulls out the hair and makes more split ends

MissColors 02-10-2012 01:04 AM

I tried something on my Appy who naturally has an amazing tail but toward the top of his tail bone or dock right before his butt the tail hair was breaking off. I had gotten some samples of this (I can't remember what its called. But I know the fly spray made by the same company is made of marigolds. ) and one was conditioner, color enhancing shampoo, and another was some sort of aloe gel. Well I took a spray bottle put 2 parts of the aloe gel in it and 1.5 parts conditioner and filled the bottle 1/3 way with water and shook it up really well. I sprayed it on and it worked pretty **** well if you' ask me. A noticeable difference.