The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Renting Out (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/renting-out-112331/)

Cruiser 02-08-2012 05:25 PM

Renting Out

I am not sure this is in the right place. Also this doesn't have to do with me, I am just asking a question for opinion.

Around here boarding a horse can cost from 175 to 400 a month depending on in door arena, pasture, stall etc.

Would it be worth renting out a facility if you don't have the experience to run it yourself, or don't want too? For example: (this is a real place that isn't run or really owned by one person at the moment a little neglected):

A twelve stall barn with a 20 by 30 hay barn, large tack, feed and bedding storage areas, wash stall, and as well as a small lounge area with full bath room. 15 to 30 acres of pasture, large outdoor arena and smaller paddocks. There is no on site living quarters, but large gravel area for parking. Perimeter fence with gate and interior fencing around pastures and paddocks.

Do you think renting or leasing (or what ever) would be worth it, how much would you pay based on the going rate of board and facilities? Add anything you want, it was just a random thought to me and wanted other ideas. Thanks

Saddlebag 02-10-2012 08:21 AM

I wouldn't be interested in such a facility with no on farm residence, whether buying it to lease out or boarding there. With all the horse theft going on, someone really needs to be close by. The stats on horse/equipment theft is greatly reduced if the thief has to pass by a residence to get to the barn.

Cruiser 02-10-2012 10:18 AM

Thanks, I've never thought of horse thief, guess I've never heard of a reported horse missing, if it was, it was because the owner left open the gate. So it would be better if there was residents on property.

AlexS 02-12-2012 03:12 PM

I would and have boarded where there is not an owner on site. That wouldn't be a big deal to me.

It's impossible to give a going rate without knowing your location and comparison barns in your area.

If I were in your situation I would be all over opening a boarding barn.

Cruiser 02-12-2012 04:14 PM

Yeah it is beautiful place, if I had the $30 000 (plus maybe $10 000 to fix it up) to buy it I would be all over it. If you don't mind crossing the road you can get right down to water, the man selling doesn't know horses so it has sat for 5 or 6 years. I couldn't run it though I am almost 20 but I don't feel I would know what to do in all situations, that was why I was asking if people lease facilities. Plus there is a lot of trainers and instructors around that might be interested in up grading from a back yard facilities.

Board for a horse here is $150 for barb wire, scary fence and run in and tiny outdoor arena but the best trails around. $400 would be some turn out, good fence, indoor arena big box stalls and lots of clinics.

Houses for rent go from $350 for a trailer and tiny lot to $800 for a large house just outside of town, or closer to me you max out at $600 for a large (5 bedroom, 2 to 4 bathroom, 100 plus year old house). I use to hang around with a real estate agent here and well that market sucks, you can a habour front 5 acre home for less than $70 000. All the land in the area though is owned by two people and they'll never sell so over 2 acres to 5 acres is rare.

AlexS 02-13-2012 03:44 AM

I don't know where you are, but $30k is a 5 year car loan to me. It would be an insane thought to think that I could get all of what you are talking about for that amount of money!

Cruiser 02-13-2012 06:50 AM

Really? I wouldn't know what the US is like, here is a beautiful place we usually get lots of tourist (when we had the ferrry it's gone now), from Maine and even New York and of course from all over Canada. But you see the pretty houses and big boats but most people don't know that most people really can't afford it, all or most are in major debt, think $100 000 isn't much.

Here you work in the fishing or medical industry or you have to make your own work, that is what I do. Who knows maybe I'll fill out all those business forms and see what happens. Diffidently bring business to local tradesmen (and women) who need a job.

Plus my family gets used cars, unless it is a new truck for my stepfather's business (his a captain).

stevenson 02-21-2012 05:28 PM

where are you located? $30,000 . 00 to buy ? To run a facility you have to put up with people whining and bitching about everthing from not enough dirt in the pen to complaints of other boarders. BE ready to deal with drama !!
you have an obligation to keep an eye on the horses, make sure that the fences, stalls , etc do not create a hazard to the horses. The laws in each state vary. You should research the laws in your area first. Also if you can buy the place check the zoning rules .

mildot 02-21-2012 05:39 PM

$30,000 is a lot of money to borrow if you don't have a solid business plan to back up the cash flow needed to pay it off and still make a reasonable living.

Cruiser 02-21-2012 06:03 PM

I was joking I wasn't and have no plans on buying the place, I also would not run a boarding stable I'm not a people person and would never put myself in a position like that. If I bought it, it would have a house brought on and the facilities used personally.

I was asking if someone owned a place like that do you think someone else would rent it to run their own horse business such as training or boarding? I asked because someone was talking to me about them buying it but they don't have enough experience to run a facility on their own nor would they want too (long story and don't want to get into personal details).

Oh there is no rules about livestock or horses or businesses (it is commercial resource zone meaning businesses run outside are allowed). Someone even has three horses, one dairy cow and 15 sheep, numerous chickens, four rabbits, two dogs on a little less than half an acre.