The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   better halter horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/better-halter-horse-112456/)

ilylily11 02-09-2012 05:31 PM

better halter horse?
 
hey! i was wondering which horse would make a better halter horse for the county 4-H. these are just some pictures,. they arent professional, but you get a pretty good idea! but could you just give me your opinion and pros and cons of each horse?. thanks:D

arizona (mare)
18 yrs old
western ridden
14.3
quarter horse, not registered.

001.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011319.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011315.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011292.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011294.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

Mable (mare)
5 years old
western ridden
14.2 hands
registerd as paint...yes paint! ik she doesnt have much white...but she is

november2011003.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011309.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011311.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011350.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket


elnuraoctober2011352.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

thanks for your time!(:

TimWhit91 02-09-2012 05:35 PM

I like the 5 year old. She looks more like a halter horse, even though she is a little chubby. And I wouldn't buy a horse older than 12, but that is just my opinion

nherridge 02-09-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilylily11 (Post 1350763)
hey! i was wondering which horse would make a better halter horse for the county 4-H. these are just some pictures,. they arent professional, but you get a pretty good idea! but could you just give me your opinion and pros and cons of each horse?. thanks:D

arizona (mare)
18 yrs old
western ridden
14.3
quarter horse, not registered.

001.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011319.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011315.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011292.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011294.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

Mable (mare)
5 years old
western ridden
14.2 hands
registerd as paint...yes paint! ik she doesnt have much white...but she is

november2011003.jpg picture by ilylily411 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011309.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011311.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

elnuraoctober2011350.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket


elnuraoctober2011352.jpg picture by ilylily11 - Photobucket

thanks for your time!(:

Definitely the second horse!

kevinshorses 02-09-2012 05:45 PM

In our state the "halter" class in 4-h is actually a showmanship class. The difference is that YOU are judged on how you show your horse and your horses performance NOT on your horses conformation. So the answer is "It doesn't matter".

sierrams1123 02-09-2012 05:50 PM

I would definitely go with the 2nd one as well.
The first one gives no pictures of the horse unsaddled so I can not judge confo all that much but from what I can see there are some flaws and some things going down hill due to the horses age I am sure.

The 2nd horse is very cute....again not the best pictures for confo critique but she seems nicely put together, with some weight lose/getting her in shape she should clean up nice.

ilylily11 02-09-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrams1123 (Post 1350794)
I would definitely go with the 2nd one as well.
The first one gives no pictures of the horse unsaddled so I can not judge confo all that much but from what I can see there are some flaws and some things going down hill due to the horses age I am sure.

The 2nd horse is very cute....again not the best pictures for confo critique but she seems nicely put together, with some weight lose/getting her in shape she should clean up nice.

thanks a bunch(: and i was wondering what you see in the 18 year old that are some flaws. yes, she is pretty old. i would like your critizim about her!:-)

sierrams1123 02-09-2012 06:32 PM

her back end looks wonky, she looks like she may even have a sway back (not something that would be good at all for halter)

mudpie 02-09-2012 07:08 PM

Marble, for sure(:

Negatives: Short in neck, steep in croup, low set tail, and she may be downhill, but I think it's just the picture I'm looking at

Positives: Good structure in legs, good angle to pasterns, good build in shoulder, strong back

When you judge a horse, you're looking at three major things: Balance, Muscle, Structure. So I'd recommend getting more muscle on her, especially in her hindquarters and across her topline, as well as working some of the chub off! Along with BSM, a judge looks for the way the horse moves. Choppy, rough movers will place below fluid, pretty movers.

Also, you don't want her to have any attitude. She should be quiet and well behaved –*enthusiastic, even! Teach her to set, too. Practice this at home a lot. Especially when horses get to new places, they can be antsy and won't set well – this will definitely get points docked!

When preparing her for a halter class, make sure her mane is clean, trimmed, and neat. No long, ratty manes! Her face, legs, and neck should be trimmed –*no long whiskers or fuzzy hairs! As well as a short bridlepath.

Hope this helps – let us know how it goes!! :D

cowgirlup07 02-10-2012 12:40 AM

marble would in my eyes be best. Around my area shed be in the ribbons easy.

the 18 year old is too weak and little in the rear to be good in halter, looks fairly weak all around.

DraftyAiresMum 02-10-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimWhit91 (Post 1350769)
And I wouldn't buy a horse older than 12, but that is just my opinion

I think the OP owns both these horses (or her family does), she's just wondering which would make a better halter horse out of the two.


I agree that Mable would be the better choice...once she's in a little better shape and not so tubby. :-P


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0