The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I don't want other people working with my horse. What do I do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-dont-want-other-people-working-112476/)

AbbyLee 02-09-2012 08:39 PM

I don't want other people working with my horse. What do I do?

I am very close with my horse that I've had for about 5 years. She is 16 and was very well trained when I got her, but she has some quirks that I'm working on. I started boarding her about 6 months ago. The barn manager all of the sudden thinks my horse is "out of control" and is going to hurt someone. So this kid who started coming up here a few months ago to do community service for his probation is now a volunteer and is very close to her (the barn manager). So she has decided that both her and this kid are going to be working with the horses who need it everyday and he has been assigned to work with my horse. My problem with this is he had absolutly NO expeirience with horses prior to coming up to the farm. A few weeks ago I had to show him how to put on a saddle!

I want to be the only person who works with my horse. Am I wrong? What do I do?

Cowgirls Boots 02-09-2012 08:43 PM

Did she even ask you? I'd be pretty mad at anyone who helps themselves to my horse and doesnt even ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 02-09-2012 08:43 PM

What am I missing? It's your horse, period. If you don't want anyone working with your horse, tell your barn manager.

BaileyJo 02-09-2012 08:46 PM

Hi Abby, just wondering - How are the skills of the barn manager? If good, I would be thrilled that someone who is a good horseman wants to work with my horse that has some quirks. Especially for free. Also, any good barn manager should be able to evaluate the skills of the rider. Our barn manager continually watches everyone's riding and knows each boarder's skill level. Is she expecting him to ride?

All this being said, if the horse is yours, not sure how this can happen. Is the horse yours?

Just out of curiousity, what is the horse doing that the barn manager feels is dangerous to others?

mildot 02-09-2012 08:52 PM

What do you do?

Your horse is your personal property. Tell the barn owner that no one is allowed to ride your horse except you. Period.

I would also start looking for a different place to board immediately and get my horse out of the there the moment I found some place else.

Any barn owner that cannot respect a horse owner's instructions cannot be trusted.

Having said all that, answer these questions because they are extremely important.

Are you a minor (less than 18 years of age)?

Who is the horse's legal owner? You? Your parents?

If you are a minor, even if the horse is "yours", you are not legally liable for any injuries incurred by someone riding it. Your parents are. Do they know about this?

An adult needs to slap this barn owner upside the head and lay down the law about who decides what happens to the horse.

AbbyLee 02-09-2012 08:55 PM

The horse kicks when other horses are behind her and the barn manager is afraid she will injure someone. And if SHE was working with my horse, I would have no problem. But it pisses me off that she's letting someone totally new to horses try his hand at her. And yes she is my horse.

mildot 02-09-2012 09:00 PM

She is your horse, then lay the law down and enforce it.

I'm confused as to why that is even in question.

AlexS 02-09-2012 09:00 PM

It's clear that you don't want this to happen so just tell the barn manager that.

BaileyJo 02-09-2012 09:09 PM

Well an inexperienced person with my horse would be a no go for me too. But I thought you had said it was both of them.

I still am unclear as to all of this happened. I can't imagine a barn manager sending an inexperienced horse person to work with a horse that kicks. Doesn't make sense. When you say she decided, did she just inform you? Why didn't you say you were not interested? And say, "We're working on it?"

Saddlebag 02-09-2012 09:09 PM

You need to be up front with this lady and let her know how you feel. Don't let her back you down. If she doesn't wish to listen, then suggest she give you free board for the use of your horse. Fair is fair. I don't imagine she'll go for that. If that fails then you have to tell her flat out that she's not to use the horse, nor is anyone else. Your horse is kicking at other horses because she feels they are in her space which she doesn't like. If she has to face the horse then it's usually not a problem. Her kicking at another horse doesn't mean she will kick at a person because she doesn't see the person as a threat.