The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Looking for info on Beat Pulp (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/looking-info-beat-pulp-112491/)

Horses4Healing 02-09-2012 09:47 PM

Looking for info on Beat Pulp

Hello,
I am looking for someone who can tell me a few things about beat pulp (or if they could point me in the direction of finding the answers)

Here is what I know:

Beat pulp needs to be soaked in water for at least 12 hours prior to feeding.
There is no such thing as too much water in beat pulp.

But what I want to know is:

Is there a difference in nutrition between beat pulp shreds and beat pulp pellets?
Would a 50lb bag of pellets last longer than a 50lb bag of shreds? Which one swells more?
Can you feed other supplements mixed in with the beat pulp (not soaked with the beat pulp, but added right before feeding)

So as you can see, I don't know a whole lot about beat pulp and am just looking to further my knowledge on the subject. Any help would be great.

Lins 02-09-2012 09:50 PM

I've always added supplements to beet pulp. I live beet pulp, all my horses get fed beet pulp.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lins 02-09-2012 09:51 PM

I add 2 parts warm water to 1 part BP and feed it after it soaks for about 1 hour. I've always fed pellets, but I would think that shreds would soak faster.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 02-09-2012 10:09 PM

It actually is not necessary to soak for 12 hours - there is no harm in soaking it that long (provided it is not done in a setting that promotes spoilage - ie very warm/humid), but it is not necessary. I do 2 parts water to 1 part bp and soak until the water is absorbed. For a quick soak I use hot water, when time isn't such an issue I use cold (ie when we are on the ball and start breakfast bp before bed and dinner bp when we serve breakfast).
Yes, you can add supplements to it or mix it with other feeds - we feed a bp/alfalfa pellet/cube mixture.
My personal preference is shreds - as noted above they do tend to soak/soften faster than pellets and there was a time I hadn't figured out the whole prep cycle we use now and didn't like the excessive time it was taking for the pellets to get to a point I was comfortable feeding them. I find bp pellets, in particular (vs alf pellets for example) very large and extremely hard.

Jumper12 02-09-2012 10:12 PM

i fed beet pulp for awhile to my OTTB mare, we would put supplements and stuff in it. Stopped feeding it because she HATED it though and wouldnt eat anything with it in her bucket! Shes usually not very picky but apparently she thought it was gross :p

usandpets 02-09-2012 11:01 PM

You don't need to soak it for 12 hours. We use hot water and it's ready in less than 1 hour.

With the same amount of shreds vs pellets when dry, the pellets will end up being more, close to twice as much. At least that's what happened for us. We used to put two scoops of the shredded in a bucket and when we switched to pellets, we only needed one scoop to get the same amount. We had heard that the shredded was more prone to cause choke because the shredded pieces were bigger, even though we had no problem with that. The reason we switched was because the pellets were cheaper. Also the shredded had more molasses in it.

We had one horse that wouldn't touch the beet pulp at first. We had to slowly increase the amount in her sweet feed. After she got used to it, there was a bag of dry BP that she attacked to get some. Luckily, she didn't get the bag open and we were there to stop her. The rest of our horses seemed to like it right away.

I think the only difference betwen the two, shreds vs pellets, is that the pellets are made by grinding up the shreds and pressing into pellets. We get the pellets that have been rolled. It breaks the pellets up a little. So, I think there's not much difference in nutrition between the two.

walkinthewalk 02-10-2012 09:32 AM

Here ya go and there are also a bunch of links on the left side of the page:)

The Myths and Reality of Beet Pulp - Susan Evans Garlinghouse

For credibility on the above article:

Susan Evans Garlinghouse

Speed Racer 02-10-2012 09:39 AM

My horses get beet pulp in the winter mixed in with their regular grain ration. I always wet their feed regardless of the season, and beet pulp most certainly does not need to soak for 12 hours. I wait until all the water's absorbed, then stir everything together. It takes less than 10 minutes.

50 lbs of beet pulp is 50 lbs, regardless of whether it's pelleted or shredded. You should be feeding by weight, not volume. If you feed the same weight every time, a 50 lb sack of shredded beet pulp will last as long as a 50 lb sack of pellets.

caseymyhorserocks 02-10-2012 09:47 PM

Beet pulp does not need to be soaked period. That myth that if you feed it dry and it will soak up liquid in the horses stomach IS NOT TRUE. I recommend soaking, yes, as they are much more likely to choke if it is dry. Here is an article about it-
The Myths and Reality of Beet Pulp - Susan Evans Garlinghouse

Pellets expand more, but a 50 lb of pellets and 50 lb bag of shredded will be the same amount of stuff, the shredded will have a bigger bag but won't have more "stuff" in it.

Yes you can mix in supplements, some horses won't even like it plain.

SueNH 02-11-2012 07:12 AM

Soak it. I've had a horse choke on just a handful and it isn't pretty.

I use warm water and it's ready in half an hour tops.

It will soak up water at about the same rate as Minute Rice.

My husband tends to make his beet pulp bucket more wet than me. I also noticed he makes his own oatmeal more soupy than I do. Think that's preference. Because water is heavy and it's a hike to the barn for me I just make it wet enough to prevent choke.

2 5lb coffee cans (3 horses and 2 goats) in a 5 gallon bucket and I fill the bucket 2/3s full with water. The beetpulp will expand to the top of the bucket. Would expand a little more if I wanted to lug the water weight but that's plenty to make it safe.