The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Looking for a new horse, help! (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/looking-new-horse-help-112527/)

marissamcl 02-10-2012 10:25 AM

Looking for a new horse, help!

Hi everyone!
So I've been on the hunt for a new horse and found one that I really like. I do the occasional low level event, h/j show, and hunter paces a few times a year. I am not a serious competitor and I do more trail/beach riding/general hacking than I do competing. The horse I'm looking at has a previous injury. This is from the owner: "The story is, she climbed over a tractor and tore her leg open. She tore a small portion of the fascia of the muscle in the middle of her gaskin. this results in a bulge on her gaskin, but the vet told me that there is no issues with it as long as we do not ask her to do saddle seat type flexion or jump 4 foot fences. I have worked her hard enough to create some heat in the area when doing raised cavaletti, so now if I do cavaletti, I do low ones. SHe has never been lame on it."

I can't find much info on this type of injury. Have any of you guys dealt with it? What do you think??

Speed Racer 02-10-2012 10:27 AM

This is a question to ask your vet at the PPE. The owner was honest and told you about the injury, so you can let the vet know about it and get his/her opinion.

HorsieLove 02-10-2012 10:32 AM

I agree with speedracer, get a vet check done first.
Posted via Mobile Device

marissamcl 02-10-2012 10:40 AM

Oh yes, definitely getting a vet check and xrays done, just wondering if anyone had any experience first!

HorsieLove 02-10-2012 11:11 AM

Sorry, but not like that... I do know two horses at local barns who have recently injured their legs. Both had large gashes, after vet help and a couple healing months, both are being ridden and turned out again. Hope all goes well for you! Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device