The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   fattening up my horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/fattening-up-my-horse-112530/)

Jumper12 02-10-2012 12:14 PM

fattening up my horse!

My horse looks more ribby than normal this winter even though its been real mild! Is there anyway to fatten up a horse on a low sugar/low fat diet? There is a history of colic and founder hence the diet!
Current feed schedule:
.5lb RB 2x/day
unlimited grass hay
tiny bit of grass thats still left in the pastures (we have no snow right now :D)

amp23 02-10-2012 12:44 PM

What i have started using to help my almost 18 year old QH from becoming too ribby is Cool Calories 100 and he is doing really well on it. I'm no expert on anything like this, by any means, but .5lb feed doesn't sound like much at all. Can you give us any information on the horse? Breed, age, workload, etc? I'm sure the people who know more than me will chime in soon :)

Jumper12 02-10-2012 12:47 PM

the feed is a ration balancer so you dont have to feed very much, even if you did its just supplemental to a horse on a grass/hay diet so it wouldnt put lbs on them. this is an older horse with a light workload.

Corporal 02-10-2012 12:49 PM

ALso try Purina equine Senior. They've tried it at Southern IL U. Ag on elderly horses, many without some, most or all of their teeth, and they've all gained weight on it. It's pelleted and easily masticated and can be made into a mash, also easily digestable. Treat it as your would grain and start with abou 1/2 cup/day, then add one handful more daily to increase, since your horse has had a history of colic. It's the grain on/grain off that will colic him. I had to transport a chornic colicker--not my horse--for a girl who fed one 3 lb coffee can of grain every other day. The horse's sides were hard as a ROCK, with classic colic symtoms. Still, he was much recovered by the time he reached the University Vet School's emergency clinic, some 15 miles away.

TbLover 02-10-2012 05:52 PM

i have two thoroughbreds that i have issues keeping weight on in the winter. I finally found what works for them. might not work for your horse but maybe you can get a plan.

Am
6lbs alfalfa
1.5 lbs strategy healthy edge
1 scoop cool calories 100

Pm
6lbs alfalfa
6lbs grass hay
1.5 lbs strategy healthy edge
1,5 lbs beet pulp
1/2 cup vegtable oil
1 scoop cool calories 100

(the oil is more for the shine)

This year they are looking like magic out in the field. :)

SueNH 02-10-2012 06:17 PM

rice bran along with his ration balancer.

Jumper12 02-10-2012 07:53 PM

rice bran isnt sugary right? that may work, he is not allowed alfalfa unfortunately :(

TbLover 02-10-2012 10:19 PM

hmm rice bran and beet pulp would be his best bet as far as weight gain and low sugar. Just soak the beet pulp and drain and soak again to reduce the sugar thats in it.

MyBoyPuck 02-10-2012 10:24 PM

I've had big time luck with Omegatin. Also getting constant comments on how shiny his coat is.

caseymyhorserocks 02-10-2012 10:35 PM

I second the beet pulp (without molasses of course) and rice bran.