The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   What spurs to use? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/what-spurs-use-112545/)

Jedi 02-10-2012 02:27 PM

What spurs to use?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

On the horse I am leasing I normaly use these spurs. Attachment 87944
The problem I have is they alays fall off because there is no way to sucure them with a strap. I went to my local tack shop and the closest thing they have to my other spurs are these ones. Attachment 87946
Should they work the same?

AlexS 02-12-2012 02:29 PM

Why do you want to use either of those spurs? Neither would be my choice.

Jedi 02-12-2012 08:35 PM

Thank-you for the reply. They are the ones my trainer advised me to use on this horse. Also, this is the style of spurs his owner rides him in while riding english. Why wouldn't you use them and what would you recommend?

jinxremoving 02-13-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi (Post 1356328)
Thank-you for the reply. They are the ones my trainer advised me to use on this horse. Also, this is the style of spurs his owner rides him in while riding english. Why wouldn't you use them and what would you recommend?

Interesting because the first spur is called a bumper spur which is more commonly used in western disciplines. The second spur is called a le spur also known as a motivator spur and is more prone to accidental engagement due to the teeth being on the side but if you have a quiet leg than it can be OK.

The most common spurs for english disciplines are the PoW (Prince of Wales) which has a neck on the back ranging in size from 1/4" all the way up to 2" for dressage. I suppose it would depend on how quiet your legs are and what the horse owner wants but personally I prefer to ride in tiny 1/4" PoW spurs when it's necessary.

Jedi 02-16-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxremoving (Post 1357094)
Interesting because the first spur is called a bumper spur which is more commonly used in western disciplines. The second spur is called a le spur also known as a motivator spur and is more prone to accidental engagement due to the teeth being on the side but if you have a quiet leg than it can be OK.

The most common spurs for english disciplines are the PoW (Prince of Wales) which has a neck on the back ranging in size from 1/4" all the way up to 2" for dressage. I suppose it would depend on how quiet your legs are and what the horse owner wants but personally I prefer to ride in tiny 1/4" PoW spurs when it's necessary.

I purchased a small Prince of Wales spur and they seem to be working well. Thanks a lot. :D