The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Getting Into Endurance Riding! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/getting-into-endurance-riding-112609/)

cowgirl928 02-11-2012 12:11 AM

Getting Into Endurance Riding!

OK people, so I am going to be crossing over from trail riding to some short endurance races this summer. Give me your top 10 tips to help! I have ridden trail with my girl a lot, so not to worried about obstacles we may encounter, but any other advice is welcome! :D

Joe4d 02-11-2012 10:54 AM

start here, http://www.horseforum.com/trail-ridi...ew-guy-100665/

search "endurance" several of us have recently started and we have a few threads going.

QOS 02-11-2012 11:09 AM

Make sure you are able to go out by yourself on your horse. My horse doesn't like to go out by himself or away from other horses and we are working on this! Make sure you are ok and horse is ok with other horses RUNNING away, to, from and all around. I am working on this. I have confidence issues so this is my job for the year. Read the threads Joe mentioned. Loads of information.

Painted Horse 02-11-2012 11:39 AM

My advice would be to go do a Competitive Trail Ride first and learn how to care for your horse on a distance ride. Endurance rides do monitor and take the horses P&R's. But I found CTR rides were much more focused on the rider knowing how their horses is doing. You will learn how to take the P&R on your horse, Gut sounds, filling, hydrations. Knowing how to take and monitor these will help you tremendously in knowing how your horse is doing.

CTR rides are more like a road rally. All horses have to finish the ride in the same amount of time, So speed is not an issue in CTR. This allows you more time to focus on your horses conditioning. It is easier for fellow riders to help you, since you are not slowing them down. since everybody moves at the same speed. They typically move at a slower speed than Endurance races, Giving you a chance for slower ride while you are learning.

The horsemanship judging and slower speeds may not be to your liking, So do one or two and then move on to Endurance. But what you learn doing a couple of CTRs will pay huge dividends when you compete in an endurance race.

And I'm not talking of doing ACTHA short day ride! Do a NATRC or something similar that is 40-50 miles for the weekend. Where you can really see how conditioning affects your horse.

Joe4d 02-11-2012 04:21 PM

I only made it through about half of the CTR rulebook, and said no how no way, way to many rules and nitpicking dumb stuff that have nothing to do with riding. I mean seriously a third of your score is based on how you park your trailer ? Then they come up with a "this is the only way to camp with a horse and all other methods are bad" um thanks but no thanks. AERC is pretty simple, get on, yah mule ! get off. check point people worry about pulsing down. You'll pick up enough info along the way. Get out and ride, ride alone ride in a group ride with other riders leaving you behind.

QOS 02-11-2012 10:12 PM

Are you serious Joe? You are judged on how you park your trailer? Okey Dokey......well, thank God I park my trailer better than I handle horses running around like crazy!

mildot 02-11-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1353905)
Then they come up with a "this is the only way to camp with a horse and all other methods are bad"

Say what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1353905)
um thanks but no thanks.

Really

Joe4d 02-11-2012 10:58 PM

http://www.natrc.org/RuleBook/Rulebook.pdf
there you go, read the rules, tell me what you think. Definitely not for me.

Yeh go for it, nit picking as all get out. No corrals no this no that, do it our way, large percentage of your score is your camp sight, I kid you not. Then you have to go a specific speed, one they figure is best, the heck with you if you actually know your horse better, get 2 miles from camp and then have to keep moving forward, SO you end p with a big cluster of people at the 2.1 mile mark just waiting for the right time so they can time it to come in in the right window, I guess some people like it. I dont know any and wouldnt find much to enjoy in it.

QOS 02-11-2012 11:59 PM

I have met two ladies that did competitive trail competitions and they both loved it and didn't care for endurance. I would think it is a matter of preference - I will read the rule book that you sent the link for. Thanks Joe!

its lbs not miles 02-12-2012 09:00 AM

Condition your horse and youself. You're unlikely to finish otherwise.