The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Will you still be watching it? Horses die filming 'Luck' (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/will-you-still-watching-horses-die-112615/)

DuffyDuck 02-11-2012 03:12 AM

Will you still be watching it? Horses die filming 'Luck'

Animal rights activists furious as two horses die during filming of Dustin Hoffman's drama 'Luck' | Mail Online

What do you think guys? I think this is going to be aired in America... is this one of those things that can just 'happen' and a wrong time wrong place thing, or were the horses pushed too hard for the sake of filming and in the long run that is what caused the stumbles, fractures and the final injection?

AlexS 02-11-2012 03:28 AM

I watched the first episode and thought it was junk, so will not be watching again. However if it were something I enjoyed, I would need more information to answer your question.

Racehorses suffer injuries and death, it's a show about racehorses. I don't know if they are asking too much of horses not trained to race, or if they just got unlucky.

I guess my answer is if it were a show worth watching and not some crappy drama, I would need to know more.

DuffyDuck 02-11-2012 03:32 AM

Your second paragraph is what I was looking for.. I have no idea about racehorses, but scrolling down to some of the comments on that webpage, someone mentioned about the stopping and starting of filming... or is it just pure bad luck that it happened..

sierrams1123 02-11-2012 03:54 AM

the video makes it look interesting.....but I am not a huge TB racing fan.....I think it may just be bad luck

SorrelHorse 02-11-2012 04:53 AM

I really tried to watch that show and wanted to shoot myself in the foot. Almost to the end of the episodes and I couldn't follow it, was bored out of my skull and I apparantly chose an episode that didn't have any horses in it. What is this. :pout:

Anywho. If I wanted to watch the show I would look into it more, but since I don't...

Maple 02-11-2012 05:15 AM

They are advertising it over here, but don't know when it's due to start because they simply say "coming soon" which doesn't really give us much info.

I'll probably watch it, I enjoy racing, but I'll probably get very annoyed very quickly at the show - I struggle to watch a lot of horse tv shows and movies without shouting at them what idiots they are :)

I can only assume the horses being used are older, quiet types of horses and not proper racehorses. They would surely need horses that one could pull up fairly sharpish to redo scenes? It's a shame that two have died, very sad, but as I'm not up to speed of the details I can't judge. Heres hoping they don't have anymore/too many more incidents.

kim_angel 02-12-2012 06:22 AM

I am not watching this show. Never planned on it. I dont think racing horses is a good sport. Sorry

OwnedByAlli 02-12-2012 06:51 AM

I might watch it but I don't think I could enjoy it as much knowing two horses died in 1 series.

Horses do die in racing, yes, but take the grandnational for example, the average is 2 deaths every 50 years or something. Last year was kind of a fluke with 2 deaths in one race.

And the advert also looked like it wasn't much horse based at all, so the horse side of it would be a 'do what needs doing and make it look vaguely truthful to the unhorsey-audience' and I probably would end up yelling at the screen because everything is wrong!!!

ScharmLily 02-12-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim_angel (Post 1355092)
I am not watching this show. Never planned on it. I dont think racing horses is a good sport. Sorry

My thoughts exactly....the entire thing makes me sick.