The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Opposite attraction? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/opposite-attraction-11272/)

RedHawk 07-10-2008 02:07 AM

Opposite attraction?

I heard a theory, in relation to dogs but i think it applies to most animals, that they bond better to their owner/handler if they are different sexes? an i was wondering what you guys all thought about it in relation to horses?
at home our dog's a girl and she loves my dad more than anyone else, even my mum who feeds/trains/cares for her, and our kitten who is a male seems more attached to myself and my mum, although we haven't had him long enough to really tell.
as for my horses, Penny and I get along fine, but i wouldn't say we have that really close 'bond' that some people have with their horses, much as i love her, and my gelding i haven't had long enough to have really know.

so... do you thing that (in general, there are exceptions to every rule) geldings bond better to girls/women and mares to boys/men?
personally i don't know, i was just curious to see what everybody thought.

mbraun3 07-10-2008 06:14 AM

most animals i come across are like that... i have two male cats (my female cat artimus is the exception to this i'll get back to that) they both hang around me more than my boyfriend i have three boas 2 female one male one of the females seems like she doesnt really care that i'm interacting with her... my other female is.... moody... she'll let my boyfriend handle her but when i got to handle her, well you can tell shes not happy with that... the male boa doesnt like to be handled by my boyfriend all that much but loves to wrap himself around my pony tail and just hang out there... lol now my cat artimus she loves anyone and everyone... but i think thats because she was introduced to me and Brandon when she was 2-3 weeks old... (she was a stray) she pretty much has bonded with me and Brandon like we are her real parents... its cute... I dont own horses but i can say when i was 12 or so i help a friend take care of her horses one was male and the other female... i noticed a difference in the attitudes towards us... the female on good days lol would put up with us... but if she was not have a good day, she just wasnt having it... lol the male on the other hands never fussed... So i'd guess it depends on the life of the animal and how it was raised and treated...

Melissa

GeminiJumper 07-10-2008 09:37 AM

Hmmm, I've never thought about that. But my horse was a mare and I loved her to death and everyone said we were perfect for each other and had an amazing bond. Idk, though

My2Geldings 07-10-2008 01:21 PM

I don't think that it matters. My dog rocky who is a little guy, adores me. Whenever I'm around he will ask to be in my lap. It's always been that way. As for horses tho I have bonded incredibly with geldings as well, I get usually a closer more personal bond with my mares.
It's very individual based I think. The amount of quality time you spend with them and how long you have had them also makes a big difference.

Angel_Leaguer 07-10-2008 01:49 PM

My horses are mares and we get along good. My other show horse was a mare too... I think it has to do with the particular animal itself. Chloe doesnt like guys or women that are loud and gruff with her... when I would get after her for things she was doing it would be a softer approach and we get along great. We were trying a new ferrier out once and she had never had a problem with anyone... anyhow he was rough with her (which she didnt need that...she is great for trimming and shoeing) she tried kicking at him when he was grumbling about something... she had NEVER kicked at anyone... he finished her up and I paid him and asked him to leave. I had a couple other horses that needed to be done but I didnt want him to touch them... sorry I got a little off topic...

RememberTheName 07-10-2008 02:50 PM

Well... I'm going to bring up the opposite of this. Hehe...

I get along better with male animals. Especially horses when it comes to geldings. 8/10 mares I do not get along with very well. 9/10 geldings I adore. So, you do the math. And the mares I DO get along with, let's just say we aren't bonded for life or anything. Whereas the gelding I worked with until recently... was the love of my life... I miss him so bad it's not even funny.

Moxie 07-10-2008 07:59 PM

I dont have horses, but I do have dogs. My female is the love of my life, we absolutely adore each other! The male pup we have, I am almost constantly annoyed with him! I dont know if it's just because he's 'challenged' or if it's just the age he's at.

brightside 07-10-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RememberTheName
Well... I'm going to bring up the opposite of this. Hehe...

I get along better with male animals. Especially horses when it comes to geldings. 8/10 mares I do not get along with very well. 9/10 geldings I adore. So, you do the math. And the mares I DO get along with, let's just say we aren't bonded for life or anything. Whereas the gelding I worked with until recently... was the love of my life... I miss him so bad it's not even funny.

I'm the same way. I have had female dogs and male dogs and I always seem to bond a lot better to the male dogs. Same goes with horses. I used to lease a hanoverian gelding and he was amazing. I later leased a TB mare, and we bonded alright but nothing close to my previous horse. I dont know why this is, but in my experiences I bonded better to male animals as well.