The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mystery Lameness (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mystery-lameness-112768/)

Alekazam 02-12-2012 02:01 PM

Mystery Lameness

Anyone have experience with lameness that disappears and comes back randomly?

My gelding is high withered, and I thought we had a saddle fit issue that caused some shoulder soreness, and a limp on a front leg. Long story short, went to a equine chiropractor, had an adjustment, no injury was detected. Re- evaluated saddle fit, with help of chiropractor, farrier, and vet. Saddle is actually a good fit, needed different padding.

So my problem is that after all this has been done, he sometimes will limp slightly during groundwork, sometimes not. But he does not limp during riding. I have the vet coming out again to check him again. But was wondering if anyone has had similar mystery lameness?

tlkng1 02-12-2012 05:44 PM

Is it actual lameness or could it be a short stride on one side? (could be stiffness\arthritic changes in leg/shoulder) Does he work out of the lameness in the groundwork? If you are doing groundwork prior to riding it could be that a stiffness or arthritic issue is warming out in the groundwork so that when you ride the lameness is gone.

Alekazam 02-12-2012 09:42 PM

I suppose it could be arthritis. I have never had horse with arthritis, so not very familiar with it. And he will only be 7 this year. No previous injuries to that shoulder/leg before.

tlkng1 02-13-2012 05:18 AM

Unfortunately arthritic changes can happen at any age. A horse at our barn, who just turned 4, was just diagnosed with arthritis in his hock. Still, it took x-rays to verify.

Is the horse by chance a thoroughbred? Going on the identificaiton of high withers which are more common in T-Breds.

sierrams1123 02-13-2012 05:20 AM

I would be looking into getting some xrays done and if nothing shows up my next move would be getting an ultrasound done.

Saddlebag 02-13-2012 08:47 AM

Tie your horse so you can get up high and look at the symmetry of his shoulders, a bird's eye view. If one shoulder is noticably smaller than this other saddle fit can become an issue. This is often not seen from the ground nor from the saddle, altho you can see it if bareback and you slide back a little. A large muscle crosses the shoulder blade and is responsible for lifting the leg. It meets in a V just behind the base of the withers under the front of the saddle. If he is lopsided then the saddle could be an issue until the weaker side is strengthened. It is usually the off side that is smaller.

Alekazam 02-13-2012 02:42 PM

He is APHA, but has alot of Thoroughbred's in his background. I will have the vet out this week, and will discuss arthritis with him. Thanks for the input everyone!