The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Rider and saddle fit. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/rider-saddle-fit-112782/)

lauraetco 02-12-2012 04:10 PM

Rider and saddle fit.

Long story short, I invited someone to come out with me to the barn to try some riding. Unfortunately, I forgot that she's much bigger than me and I don't think she's going to fit into my saddle. I have a 15" western saddle. Obviously, I can't tell her she's too big and I'm not comfortable lying so I'm not going to make up some excuse why she can't come so, I'm going to have her come out and try anyways. My question is...what does an improper rider/saddle fit do to a horse, if anything? Is it going to pinch? It's a Reinsman Flex-tree. I don't want him throw her off because the weight distribution feels off. Ugg...what if she wants to trot? I have to post his trot so I don't hurt his back. He's really bouncy and not collected. There won't be room for her to post, even if she knows how. I hate that I got myself into this situation. Help!

Country Woman 02-12-2012 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
instead of explaining here is a picture
this is a pony/ horse 14hh and the saddle is a 15 inch
I need a 16in saddle
yes I am too big for him lol

trailhorserider 02-12-2012 07:14 PM

How big is she that you don't think she will fit into a 15 inch saddle for short amounts of time? ( Maybe she won't, I have no idea, just asking.)

I weigh a little over 200 lbs and I own a 15 inch saddle that I could ride in if it was all I had. Now I'm more comfortable in a 16-17 inch for sure, but if I was just a guest riding for a short amount of time I don't see why I couldn't ride in it. I keep it because I figure it's a good spare, I wouldn't get much money out of it, and one day I might end up with a horse that it would fit perfectly. :lol:

On a side-note, how do you like the Reinsman Flex Tree saddle? I had one briefly (in a 17 inch) and I loved the quality but it gave me back pain. The lady that bought it loves it.

Country Woman 02-12-2012 07:37 PM

I went to the tack store to get fitted in a western saddle
I fit a 16'' Wintec and I weigh 187 lbs

mildot 02-12-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraetco (Post 1355618)
Obviously, I can't tell her she's too big

Yes you can. The welfare of the horse comes first.

Jumper12 02-12-2012 09:53 PM

It should be okay for walking I would think, if you dont feel comfortable letting her trot then tell her not to! Your horse cant speak for himself and he relies on you to be his voice. You dont necessarily have to be rude and say "youre too fat to ride my horse". A line ive used before is that my horse is at a delicate spot in her training and I dont want any setbacks if she acts up for you (or something happens, etc). Hope this is helpful! That is a very delicate situation!

mom2pride 02-12-2012 10:02 PM

I would think that unless she really hangs over the rear of the saddle, your friend should be fine in your saddle for one short ride.

Not to steal the thread, but Country Woman, I do believe your bit is upside down. Those two rings on the bottom side where your reins currently are, are actually where the bridle and the curbstrap belong.

lauraetco 02-13-2012 12:13 AM

Thank you. Your replies were helpful. I think I was over thinking things and got myself worked up. I like the idea of saying that he's in a delicate spot of training and I don't want any setbacks if he acts up. It's not a lie! Also, thanks for understanding that this is a delicate situation. Thanks for posting the pics and yes, I love my saddle! It's so comfy!

tinyliny 02-13-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2pride (Post 1356390)
I would think that unless she really hangs over the rear of the saddle, your friend should be fine in your saddle for one short ride.

Not to steal the thread, but Country Woman, I do believe your bit is upside down. Those two rings on the bottom side where your reins currently are, are actually where the bridle and the curbstrap belong.

If I remember correctly, CW was informed of this on another thread. I think those photos are old. However, you certainly have a sharp eye!

Country Woman 02-13-2012 01:16 AM

yes I realized this and now it fixed but I am planning on changing the bit
to a snaffle