The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I FEEL SO GUILTY! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-feel-so-guilty-11281/)

hotreddun 07-10-2008 12:28 PM

I FEEL SO GUILTY!
 
I bought an anti-barking shock collar for my lab Dexter yesterday.

Basically the problem is we have irresponsible neighbors that let their female doberman run loose around the entire neighborhood and she is in heat. So now she has a pack of males following her around everywhere. My dog is neutered so that is not an issue...but he is very territorial. Well he barks and bark and barks all night long. Technically they don't come on our property very much...they wander around non-fenced neighbors houses and up by the road...so I can't legally shoot them...which I don't know if I would have the heart to do anyway.

Not only was I not able to sleep (which is hard enough 9 months pregnant) but Im pretty sure Dexter was getting an ulcer over the issue. He was eating a lot of grass and had some gastrointestinal issues if you know what I mean every morning.

Called animal control...but out in the country they won't do anything about it.

So I had to buy poor Dexter a shock collar and basically punish him for defending his home. He wore it last night and we were able to sleep finally. And Dexter seemed perkier this morning because he finally slept...probably after being shocked a few times. But I felt so guilty putting that thing on him.

Im so irate at those stupid neighbors. And I can only assume that we are going to have a pack of puppies running around sooner or later. :x

FGRanch 07-10-2008 12:41 PM

We are having the same problem with my lab and my JRT.

I haven't done the shock collar yet, but there is a bird house (I know it's odd) that puts of sound waves when a dog barks that hurts their ears. I've heard it works great! I'm gonna go buy one today! It that doesn't work then the next thing will have to be a shock collar.

I'm always defending the dogs, because they are only trying to protect our home. They have no idea that they are keeping us awake!

Small_Town_Girl 07-10-2008 12:48 PM

I WANT a shocking collar for my dogs...they never seem to shut up! :shock:

hotreddun 07-10-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch
We are having the same problem with my lab and my JRT.

I haven't done the shock collar yet, but there is a bird house (I know it's odd) that puts of sound waves when a dog barks that hurts their ears. I've heard it works great! I'm gonna go buy one today! It that doesn't work then the next thing will have to be a shock collar.

I'm always defending the dogs, because they are only trying to protect our home. They have no idea that they are keeping us awake!

I thought about getting one of those...but I didn't want to punish my other dog with the sound wave thing when just Dex was barking...I feel bad either way. :cry:

FGRanch 07-10-2008 01:44 PM

Only on of your dogs bark. Lucky! Both mine bark their heads off!

My2Geldings 07-10-2008 02:05 PM

It will happen regardless of where you are. The second you live out of town, you agree with the fact you will have both cats AND dogs running around loose. It happens. We lived out of town for years and we always saw on a regular basis loose dogs. It's a never ending battle.
As for the barking, not to be rude but it's your problem.Regardless of the reason as to why he does it, if it bothers you then correct the situation with training. The zapping collars work well for that.

Moxie 07-10-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
It will happen regardless of where you are. The second you live out of town, you agree with the fact you will have both cats AND dogs running around loose. It happens. We lived out of town for years and we always saw on a regular basis loose dogs. It's a never ending battle.
As for the barking, not to be rude but it's your problem.Regardless of the reason as to why he does it, if it bothers you then correct the situation with training. The zapping collars work well for that.

I agree.

We have shock collars for our dogs. At first, yes, I hated using them, but we have corrected many behavior problems by using them. Now, I'm not saying we shock the crap out of our dogs, and we don't leave the collars on 24/7 either. When we see our dogs are in need of a reminding of their manners, we charge the collars up, put em on and work with the dogs. The pups always seem to act like they actually know something when the collars are on, vs. when they are off, and they revert back to their bone-headed selves.

Dumas'_Grrrl 07-10-2008 10:25 PM

OMGosh... lol... we had a cute little schnauser doggie at one time. He was just a bundle of cuddle! BUT He barked non-stop! We got him the shock collar and we know it worked because he would go stiff legged for just a second and then shake his head which would spin the collar around some. We laughed and laughed at him and tried to no avail to get him to stop. We eventually found a new home for him and he's very happy there. I just flashed back to the first few times he barked with the collar on...dang we felt guilty but it was also incredibly funny :lol: . He eventually wore out the batteries, that's when we found him a new home.

Moxie 07-11-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small_Town_Girl
I WANT a shocking collar for my dogs...they never seem to shut up! :shock:

I have a shock training collar, not a bark collar that's for sale. lol

My2Geldings 07-11-2008 06:10 PM

Re: I FEEL SO GUILTY!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotreddun
I bought an anti-barking shock collar for my lab Dexter yesterday.

Basically the problem is we have irresponsible neighbors that let their female doberman run loose around the entire neighborhood and she is in heat. So now she has a pack of males following her around everywhere. My dog is neutered so that is not an issue...but he is very territorial. Well he barks and bark and barks all night long. Technically they don't come on our property very much...they wander around non-fenced neighbors houses and up by the road...so I can't legally shoot them...which I don't know if I would have the heart to do anyway.

Not only was I not able to sleep (which is hard enough 9 months pregnant) but Im pretty sure Dexter was getting an ulcer over the issue. He was eating a lot of grass and had some gastrointestinal issues if you know what I mean every morning.

Called animal control...but out in the country they won't do anything about it.

So I had to buy poor Dexter a shock collar and basically punish him for defending his home. He wore it last night and we were able to sleep finally. And Dexter seemed perkier this morning because he finally slept...probably after being shocked a few times. But I felt so guilty putting that thing on him.

Im so irate at those stupid neighbors. And I can only assume that we are going to have a pack of puppies running around sooner or later. :x

It is unfortunate but koodos to you for doing it. Once he figures the collar out, I think it will be good for him to calm down and realise life is good at home with mom without barking every time someone stops by. Unfortunate when you have a good guard dog but sometimes better in the long run. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0