The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   My Adventure ;) (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/my-adventure-%3B-112813/)

BarrelBunny 02-12-2012 06:50 PM

My Adventure ;)

Earlier this month I went on a HUGE trail ride! My mom and I went after dark on our horses and rode all of the way down our road, over a bridge that runs over a major highway, down the axis road, on the paved road, and then back our dirt road again. :D it was amazing! (and very long!) it was about 8 miles... we were all sore the next morning. :lol: What is the biggest trail y'all have ever ridden?

phantomhorse13 02-12-2012 09:41 PM

Sounds like you had a fun ride! Night riding can be very exciting.

Longest ride I have done was the 2009 Old Dominion 100 miler. Due to some flooding, part of the trail was rerouted and Dreams and I actually rode 104 miles. Amazing what horses can do!!

trailhorserider 02-13-2012 04:22 AM

Wow! I think think the farthest I've ridden is around 20 miles. I know I we did a 9 mile loop twice once. But there have been other rides where it seems like we rode forever but never tracked the mileage. So I assume in the 20 mile range is about the longest I've done.

I notice the rides seem longer on a slow horse and zoom by like nothing on a fast horse. For instance we did a trail this weekend that we thought was about 12 miles. I was on my Fox Trotter and she really walks out. When I got home and looked at the trail map I was surprised to find out we did 16 miles in 4 hours. And my horse could have done it much faster but the stock horses could hardly keep with her walk. They had to jog to her walk. So I was holding her in almost the entire ride.

Now on my slow horse that trail would have been really tiring.

Jolly Badger 02-13-2012 12:30 PM

The nearest state park has a nice 32 mile loop - if the rain would ever stop, it's a really nice day-ride with plenty of variety. Lots of hills, creeks and deep streams to cross, etc. I used to pack up a lunch and ride that loop for the day by myself whenever I could.

My boyfriend and I both have TWHs, and they cover a lot of ground when they move. When we go over to a trail in Indiana with a 8-9 mile loop, we ride it in one direction then stop back at the trailer for lunch, then ride it again in the opposite direction.

On a rougher/rockier trail we tend to take our time, and may not cover as much ground but just enjoy the scenery.

Painted Horse 02-13-2012 04:22 PM

I've done endurance rides at 50 miles.
I used to put on an endurance ride and we had three 50 mile loops (Friday, Saturday and Sunday Courses) I had to ride all three loops in the days before the race to make sure all the trail markers were still in place. So 150 miles in 3 days was common, but I would usually trade out horses and not ask the same horse to do all 150 miles.

I fequently do trail rides where we cover 20-25 miles And do 3-4 days in a row so we get close to 100 miles for the outing

Most days hunting, we ride 7-9 miles in to where we hunt. Ride along the ridges looking for deer/elk and then 7-9 miles back to the truck, So we are usually 20+ mile days.

When the trail footing allows, we can boogy along at a pretty good clip
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p.../Bryce3248.jpg

When the footing isn't so good, We slow down and take our time
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ky-Trail-4.gif

QOS 02-13-2012 06:37 PM

I did 17 miles in one day, stopping to eat lunch. I would like to go more - hoping to get that opportunity this summer of riding all day. It is so much fun!!!

Celeste 02-13-2012 10:17 PM

When I was in my 20's I used to ride 25 miles a day several days a week. Now I think that I have done something grand if I ride 5 miles. I hope that I will start back to doing some longer rides this spring.

Fear The Tree 02-13-2012 11:17 PM

I ride 15-25 miles per trail ride. I do it on Charles, he's a quarter horse

BarrelBunny 02-14-2012 10:26 PM

That's crazy! I think the longest ride I've ever gone on was 10 miles! lol I would love to try a longer trail! ...although I'm afraid I'd be pretty sore afterwards ;) it would be worth it though! :D

nuisance 02-15-2012 06:35 PM

When I was YOUNGER I use to do competative trail rides, 30-60 miles. Loved it, miss it! Don't think my arthritis will let me do it now, but I'm trying to work up for a good 20 miler or so. Have a weekend trail ride end of April, 15 mile Saturday, 18 miles Sunday... (or vice versa?). Have to get both of us in better shape!