The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   rounding thru topline? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/rounding-thru-topline-112867/)

Jumper12 02-12-2012 10:23 PM

rounding thru topline?

I was watching a video of my horse today and she was tracking up nicely but I cant figure out how I can get her to work better over her topline?! I try to not be too restrictive with my rein and get her to bend with my leg. What could I be doing wrong that is preventing her from rounding thru her topline? How can I help make her better?
Thx for your help!

kitten_Val 02-13-2012 06:59 AM

It's impossible to tell unless we can see the videos. :wink:

Jumper12 02-13-2012 08:48 PM

if i could post i would but video=disc and computer=no disc drive!

Kayty 02-14-2012 06:28 PM

Unfortunately without seeing what is going on, there is very little help that can be offered, because there are so many things that could be going on, and even more ways to solve the issues.
Even some photographs of you riding would be more helpful than nothing.

mudpie 02-15-2012 05:07 PM

While I can't say for sure, I think that your horse is probably going about with his back hollowed and on the forehand. Try to get him to engage his back and push from behind(:

Kayty 02-15-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 1361440)
While I can't say for sure, I think that your horse is probably going about with his back hollowed and on the forehand. Try to get him to engage his back and push from behind(:

Can you please explain how one would go about doing this, so the OP can get an idea of what to do.

mudpie 02-15-2012 06:01 PM

Gah. Later. I'm half asleep and I just went through a nerve-racking experience in which I was literally quivering violently and struggling to remain aware of what was going on around me. Like I said... later!

Jumper12 02-15-2012 06:18 PM

she is tracking up nicely and not heavy in the front, just hollow and not using her back much at all and i cant seem to convince her too. i tried doing the long and low stuff but she just seems to ignore me and i cant get her to do that either! :(

tlkng1 02-15-2012 06:29 PM

Let's see...I am going through the same thing. I am trying to build the topline as well and get the horse to stretch down. For mine, I hold the contact and then use my leg to squeeze him up into the bridle. Once he drops his poll and rounds, I allow him to take the reins while still applying calf pressure. Once his head comes back up I shorten the reins and repeat.

If she is ignoring your calf try using a dressage whip just to tap and encourage her to use her hind end.

Kayty 02-15-2012 06:39 PM

Sounds like she is just running around on the forehand. There is a different between running and 'light' in the hand, and going forward off the leg.
Millions of transitions each ride, changes of rein, changes of tempo within each gait etc. will help immensely.
She needs to go off your leg immediately, and slow to your back immediately. Until you have that, you have no hope of getting her 'round'.