The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   What's the hardest breed to shoe? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/whats-hardest-breed-shoe-112869/)

AmazinCaucasian 02-13-2012 12:08 AM

What's the hardest breed to shoe?

Overall average, as a group.

For me, it's Paso Finos because they have the nervous jerks. Anyone else

sierrams1123 02-13-2012 02:11 AM

anything with brittle feet.....as far as a breed I hear TB can be a pain.

DrumRunner 02-13-2012 02:13 AM

I have to agree with TBs...The have soft feet, can be very brittle and/or dry, and bruise/abscess easier than breeds..I have an appendix QH/TB mare and her feet are NOTHING like my QHs feet..

Oxer 02-13-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1356681)
Overall average, as a group.

For me, it's Paso Finos because they have the nervous jerks. Anyone else

hahaha! I never knew this. Do they ALL have a nervous jerk???

loosie 02-13-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1356681)
For me, it's Paso Finos because they have the nervous jerks.

Guessing you're not talking about the nervous jerks that own them??:lol::lol:

equiniphile 02-13-2012 08:00 AM

You'd love my Paso....he's the definition of dead broke!

My farrier hates doing the drafts; they all lean.

AmazinCaucasian 02-13-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 1356888)
hahaha! I never knew this. Do they ALL have a nervous jerk???

The show-bred ones are real squirrelly. The ones I did for people that did recreational riding were ok.

It's like alot of breeds, the show horses are supposed to be
High-headed and quick-steppin. Makes them hard to keep on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

AmazinCaucasian 02-13-2012 11:04 AM

Im not wild about drafts either. Theyre so strong they just pull you in 2. And you really have to use a forge to shape those big shoes. Everything's bigger, more nipping, more rasping, Bigger nails. Just a more exhausting job. Really a person should double their price to do drafts. The best way is just put them in stocks and strap their feet up. I turn them down now because I don't want to beat on a hot shoe In front of a forge when it's 100 degrees
Posted via Mobile Device

Horseman56 02-13-2012 11:13 AM

It would be educational to see a few photos of the shoeing work done by those responding to this thread.

As to which breed is most difficult to shoe, I might offer that it isn't the breed which presents the variation in difficulty.

The challenges are found in the intended discipline, conformation of the animal, behavior of the animal, work environment and experience of the owner.

Show me a horse with good capsule conformation/health, low level discipline performance expectations, quality behavior and a well-lit, dry, level work environment and I'll show you a horse you can shoe in your sleep.

On the other hand, present a horse intended to chase cans with a toe-out conformation, carpus valgus, poor behavior and owned by someone whose equine experience is limited to the last issue of Horse & Rider magazine and I'll show you a farrier that would rather be a Walmart greeter for the day!

Cheers,
Mark

Kimmylikestojump 02-13-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseman56 (Post 1357180)
It would be educational to see a few photos of the shoeing work done by those responding to this thread.

As to which breed is most difficult to shoe, I might offer that it isn't the breed which presents the variation in difficulty.

The challenges are found in the intended discipline, conformation of the animal, behavior of the animal, work environment and experience of the owner.

Show me a horse with good capsule conformation/health, low level discipline performance expectations, quality behavior and a well-lit, dry, level work environment and I'll show you a horse you can shoe in your sleep.

On the other hand, present a horse intended to chase cans with a toe-out conformation, carpus valgus, poor behavior and owned by someone whose equine experience is limited to the last issue of Horse & Rider magazine and I'll show you a farrier that would rather be a Walmart greeter for the day!

Cheers,
Mark

Can I get an AMEN? LOL